Severe and terminal chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Severe and terminal chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Invited review paper
Pneumonol Alergol Pol 2009;77(4):411-416.
- Pływaczewski R, Maciejewski J, Bednarek M, et al. Prevalence, severity and underdiagnosis of COPD in the primary care setting. Thorax. 2008; 63(5): 402–407.
- Hajiro T, Nishimura K, Tsukino M, et al. A comparison of the level of dyspnea vs disease severity in indicating the health-related quality of life of patients with COPD. Chest. 1999; 116(6): 1632–1637.
- Budweiser S, Hitzl AP, Jörres RA, et al. Health-related quality of life and long-term prognosis in chronic hypercapnic respiratory failure: a prospective survival analysis. Respir Res. 2007; 8: 1–9.
- Rizkallah J, Man SF, Sin DD. Prevalence of pulmonary embolism in acute exacerbations of COPD: a systematic review and metaanalysis. Chest. 2009; 135(3): 786–793.
- Maters GA, de Voogd JN, Sanderman R, et al. Depressive symptoms as predictors of mortality in patients with COPD. Chest. 2009; 135(3): 619–625.
- Budweiser S, Jörres RA, Riedl T, et al. Predictors of survival in COPD patients with chronic hypercapnic respiratory failure receiving noninvasive home ventilation. Chest. 2007; 131(6): 1650–1658.
- Ong KC, Lu SJ, Soh CSC. Does the multidimensional grading system (BODE) correspond to differences in health status of patients with COPD? Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2006; 1(1): 91–96.
- Celli BR, Cote CG, Marin JM, et al. The body-mass index, airflow obstruction, dyspnea, and exercise capacity index in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. N Engl J Med. 2004; 350(10): 1005–1012.
- Cote CG, Dordelly LJ, Celli BR. Impact of COPD exacerbations on patient-centered outcomes. Chest. 2007; 131(3): 696–704.
- Cote CG, Pinto-Plata VM, Marin JM, et al. The modified BODE index validation with mortality in COPD. ERJ. 2008; 102: 27–35.
- Tantucci C, Donati P, Nicosia F, et al. Inspiratory capacity predicts mortality in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Respir Med. 2008; 102(4): 613–619.
- Casanova C, Cote C, de Torres JP, et al. Inspiratory-to-total lung capacity ratio predicts mortality in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005; 171(6): 591–597.
- Burgel PR, Nesme-Meyer P, Chanez P, et al. Initiatives Bronchopneumopathie Chronique Obstructive Scientific Committee. Cough and sputum production are associated with frequent exacerbations and hospitalizations in COPD subjects. Chest. 2009; 135(4): 975–982.
- Man SFP, Connett JE, Anthonisen NR, et al. C-reactive protein and mortality in mild to moderate chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Thorax. 2006; 61(10): 849–856.
- Man SFP, Xing L, Connett JE, et al. Circulating fibronectin to C-reactive protein ratio and mortality: a biomarker in COPD? Eur Respir J. 2008; 32(6): 1451–1457.
- Claessens MT, Lynn J, Zhong Z, et al. Dying with lung cancer or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: insights from SUPPORT. Study to Understand Prognoses and Preferences for Outcomes and Risks of Treatments. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2000; 48(5 Suppl): S146–S153.
- Vestbo J, Prescott E, Almdal T, et al. Body mass, fat-free body mass, and prognosis in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease from a random population sample: findings from the Copenhagen City Heart Study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006; 173(1): 79–83.
- Cooper CB, Waterhouse J, Howard P. Twelve year clinical study of patients with hypoxic cor pulmonale given long term domiciliary oxygen therapy. Thorax. 1987; 42(2): 105–110.
- Nizet TAC, van den Elshout FJJ, Heijdra YF, et al. Survival of chronic hypercapnic COPD patients is predicted by smoking habits, comorbidity, and hypoxemia. Chest. 2005; 127(6): 1904–1910.
- Murray SA, Kendall M, Boyd K, et al. Illness trajectories and palliative care. BMJ. 2005; 330(7498): 1007–1011.
- Curtis JR. Palliative and end-of-life care for patients with severe COPD. Eur Respir J. 2008; 32(3): 796–803.
- Coventry PA, Grande GE, Richards DA, et al. Prediction of appropriate timing of palliative care for older adults with non-malignant life-threatening disease: a systematic review. Age Ageing. 2005; 34(3): 218–227.
- Le Jemtel TH, Padeletti M, Jelic S. Diagnostic and therapeutic challenges in patients with coexistent chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and chronic heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007; 49(2): 171–180.
- Di Fazio I, Franzoni S, Frisoni GB, et al. Predictive role of single diseases and their combination on recovery of balance and gait in disabled elderly patients. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2006; 7(4): 208–211.
- Anthonisen NR, Skeans MA, Wise RA, et al. Lung Health Study Research Group. The effects of a smoking cessation intervention on 14.5-year mortality: a randomized clinical trial. Ann Intern Med. 2005; 142(4): 233–239.
- Tashkin DP, Celli B, Senn S, et al. A 4-year trial of tiotropium in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. NEJM. 2008; 359: 1616–1618.
- Calverley P, Pauwels R, Vestbo J, et al. TRial of Inhaled STeroids ANd long-acting beta2 agonists study group. Combined salmeterol and fluticasone in the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2003; 361(9356): 449–456.
- Sobieraj DM, White CM, Coleman CI. Benefits and risks of adjunctive inhaled corticosteroids in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a meta-analysis. Clin Ther. 2008; 30(8): 1416–1425.
- Hess DR. The evidence for noninvasive positive-pressure ventilation in the care of patients in acute respiratory failure: a systematic review of the literature. Respir Care. 2004; 49(7): 810–829.
- Borghi-Silva A, Reis MS, Mendes RG, et al. Noninvasive ventilation acutely modifies heart rate variability in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients. Respir Med. 2008; 102(8): 1117–1123.
- Dreher M, Doncheva E, Schwoerer A, et al. Preserving oxygenation during walking in severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: noninvasive ventilation versus oxygen therapy. Respiration. 2009; 78(2): 154–160.
- Keilty SE, Ponte J, Fleming TA, et al. Effect of inspiratory pressure support on exercise tolerance and breathlessness in patients with severe stable chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Thorax. 1994; 49(10): 990–994.
- Cuomo A, Delmastro M, Ceriana P, et al. Noninvasive mechanical ventilation as a palliative treatment of acute respiratory failure in patients with end-stage solid cancer. Palliat Med. 2004; 18(7): 602–610.
- Lanken PN, Terry PB, Delisser HM, et al. ATS End-of-Life Care Task Force. An official American Thoracic Society clinical policy statement: palliative care for patients with respiratory diseases and critical illnesses. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2008; 177(8): 912–927.
- Lacasse Y, Martin S, Lasserson TJ, et al. Meta-analysis of respiratory rehabilitation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. A Cochrane systematic review. Eura Medicophys. 2007; 43(4): 475–485.
- Foglio K, Bianchi L, Bruletti G, et al. Seven-year time course of lung function, symptoms, health-related quality of life, and exercise tolerance in COPD patients undergoing pulmonary rehabilitation programs. Respir Med. 2007; 101(9): 1961–1970.
- Carone M, Patessio A, Ambrosino N, et al. Efficacy of pulmonary rehabilitation in chronic respiratory failure (CRF) due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): The Maugeri Study. Respir Med. 2007; 101(12): 2447–2453.
- Martin UJ, Hincapie L, Nimchuk M, et al. Impact of whole-body rehabilitation in patients receiving chronic mechanical ventilation. Crit Care Med. 2005; 33(10): 2259–2265.
- Navigante AH, Cerchietti LCA, Castro MA, et al. Midazolam as adjunct therapy to morphine in the alleviation of severe dyspnea perception in patients with advanced cancer. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2006; 31(1): 38–47.
- Gore JM, Brophy CJ, Greenstone MA. How well do we care for patients with end stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)? A comparison of palliative care and quality of life in COPD and lung cancer. Thorax. 2000; 55(12): 1000–1006.
- Clemens KE, Klaschik E. Symptomatic therapy of dyspnea with strong opioids and its effect on ventilation in palliative care patients. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2007; 33(4): 473–481.
- Croft M. Palliative care in end-stage COPD. Br J Gen Pract. 2005; 55(512): 234.
- Rocker GM, Dodek PM, Heyland DK, et al. Canadian Researchers at the End of Life Network. Toward optimal end-of-life care for patients with advanced chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: insights from a multicentre study. Can Respir J. 2008; 15(5): 249–254.
- Habraken JM, Pols J, Bindels PJE, et al. The silence of patients with end-stage COPD: a qualitative study. Br J Gen Pract. 2008; 58(557): 844–849.
- Steinhauser KE, Clipp EC, McNeilly M, et al. In search of a good death: observations of patients, families, and providers. Ann Intern Med. 2000; 132(10): 825–832.
- Knauft E, Nielsen EL, Engelberg RA, et al. Barriers and facilitators to end-of-life care communication for patients with COPD. Chest. 2005; 127(6): 2188–2196.
- Kirk P, Kirk I, Kristjanson LJ. What do patients receiving palliative care for cancer and their families want to be told? A Canadian and Australian qualitative study. BMJ. 2004; 328(7452): 1343.
- Selecky PA, Eliasson CA, Hall RI, et al. American College of Chest Physicians. Palliative and end-of-life care for patients with cardiopulmonary diseases: American College of Chest Physicians position statement. Chest. 2005; 128(5): 3599–3610.
- Casas A, Troosters T, Garcia-Aymerich J, et al. members of the CHRONIC Project. Integrated care prevents hospitalisations for exacerbations in COPD patients. Eur Respir J. 2006; 28(1): 123–130.
- Spence A, Hasson F, Waldron M, et al. Active carers: living with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Int J Palliat Nurs. 2008; 14(8): 368–372.