open access

Vol 11, No 2 (2016)
Young Cardiology
Published online: 2016-05-12
Get Citation

Knowledge of blood pressure self-control principles in hospitalized patients with hypertension

Anna Maria Kot, Iwona Gorczyca-Michta, Ewelina Biernacka, Beata Wożakowska-Kapłon
DOI: 10.5603/FC.2016.0016
·
Folia Cardiologica 2016;11(2):106-110.

open access

Vol 11, No 2 (2016)
Young Cardiology
Published online: 2016-05-12

Abstract

Introduction. Hypertension (HTN) is the main cause of mortality worldwide. Control of HTN is based on home blood pressure measurements. An important role in the diagnosis of HTN plays an ambulatory blood pressure measurement. The main aim of the study was to assess the knowledge of blood pressure measurements, as well as the assessment of knowledge about the disease in hospitalized patients with hypertension.

Materials and methods. The study involved a group of 126 patients with diagnosed and treated HTN hospitalized in the First Clinical Department of Cardiology in Świętokrzyskie Cardiology Centre in Kielce. Questionnaire consisted of 23 closed questions and 3 open questions was a study tool. It assessed demographic data, duration of HTN, lifestyle and the presence of comorbidities. Some of the questions concerned the knowledge of the principles of self-control of blood pressure and how to perform blood pressure measurements.

Results. Studied group of 126 patients with hypertension included 58 women (46%) and 68 men (54%). Only 26 patients (20.6%) in the whole group had normal body weight. The average duration of HTN was 11 years. One hundred and eighteen patients (93.7%) measured their blood pressure at home. Forty-three respondents (34.1%), used wrist sphygmomanometer. Among studied patients, 107 (85%) knew the correct blood pressure. Nineteen (15%) patients did not know the correct blood pressure values. Lifestyle of hospitalized patients with hypertension was also assessed. Healthy diet and eliminating risk factors since the diagnosis HTN were declared by 48 patients (38.1%), the remaining 78 patients (61.9%) did not make changes in their eating habits despite the occurrence of HTN. Most patients in the study group (95 patients, 75.3%) were aware of the consequences of untreated or inadequately treated HTN. The remaining 31 respondents (24.6%) had no knowledge of the subject. Assessing their level of knowledge, only 10 (7.9%) respondents defined it as good.

Conclusions. Knowledge of self-control of HTN in patients treated with antihypertensive drugs is insufficient. Systematic education is still necessary, mainly for country dwellers in old age.

Abstract

Introduction. Hypertension (HTN) is the main cause of mortality worldwide. Control of HTN is based on home blood pressure measurements. An important role in the diagnosis of HTN plays an ambulatory blood pressure measurement. The main aim of the study was to assess the knowledge of blood pressure measurements, as well as the assessment of knowledge about the disease in hospitalized patients with hypertension.

Materials and methods. The study involved a group of 126 patients with diagnosed and treated HTN hospitalized in the First Clinical Department of Cardiology in Świętokrzyskie Cardiology Centre in Kielce. Questionnaire consisted of 23 closed questions and 3 open questions was a study tool. It assessed demographic data, duration of HTN, lifestyle and the presence of comorbidities. Some of the questions concerned the knowledge of the principles of self-control of blood pressure and how to perform blood pressure measurements.

Results. Studied group of 126 patients with hypertension included 58 women (46%) and 68 men (54%). Only 26 patients (20.6%) in the whole group had normal body weight. The average duration of HTN was 11 years. One hundred and eighteen patients (93.7%) measured their blood pressure at home. Forty-three respondents (34.1%), used wrist sphygmomanometer. Among studied patients, 107 (85%) knew the correct blood pressure. Nineteen (15%) patients did not know the correct blood pressure values. Lifestyle of hospitalized patients with hypertension was also assessed. Healthy diet and eliminating risk factors since the diagnosis HTN were declared by 48 patients (38.1%), the remaining 78 patients (61.9%) did not make changes in their eating habits despite the occurrence of HTN. Most patients in the study group (95 patients, 75.3%) were aware of the consequences of untreated or inadequately treated HTN. The remaining 31 respondents (24.6%) had no knowledge of the subject. Assessing their level of knowledge, only 10 (7.9%) respondents defined it as good.

Conclusions. Knowledge of self-control of HTN in patients treated with antihypertensive drugs is insufficient. Systematic education is still necessary, mainly for country dwellers in old age.

Get Citation

Keywords

hypertension, blood pressure measurements, self-control of hypertension

About this article
Title

Knowledge of blood pressure self-control principles in hospitalized patients with hypertension

Journal

Folia Cardiologica

Issue

Vol 11, No 2 (2016)

Pages

106-110

Published online

2016-05-12

DOI

10.5603/FC.2016.0016

Bibliographic record

Folia Cardiologica 2016;11(2):106-110.

Keywords

hypertension
blood pressure measurements
self-control of hypertension

Authors

Anna Maria Kot
Iwona Gorczyca-Michta
Ewelina Biernacka
Beata Wożakowska-Kapłon

Important: This website uses cookies. More >>

The cookies allow us to identify your computer and find out details about your last visit. They remembering whether you've visited the site before, so that you remain logged in - or to help us work out how many new website visitors we get each month. Most internet browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can change the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance if you prefer.

 

Wydawcą serwisu jest  "Via Medica sp. z o.o." sp.k., ul. Świętokrzyska 73, 80–180 Gdańsk

tel.:+48 58 320 94 94, faks:+48 58 320 94 60, e-mail:  viamedica@viamedica.pl