open access

Ahead of Print
Original article
Submitted: 2021-09-30
Accepted: 2021-12-08
Published online: 2021-12-31
Get Citation

The pattern of branching and intercommunications of the musculocutaneous nerve for surgical issues: anatomical study

M. G. Al-Sobhi1, A. I. Zaki21, F. A. Abd El Hamid21, R. A Alshali1, H. N. Mustafa1
DOI: 10.5603/FM.a2021.0139
·
Pubmed: 35037697
Affiliations
  1. King Abdulaziz University, Faculty of Medicine, Anatomy Department, 21589 Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
  2. Anatomy and Embryology Department,Faculty of Medicine, Alexandria University, Egypt, Al Mowasah Campus, Alexandria, Egypt

open access

Ahead of Print
ORIGINAL ARTICLES
Submitted: 2021-09-30
Accepted: 2021-12-08
Published online: 2021-12-31

Abstract

Background: The aim of the present work was to provide evidence about the anatomical variations as regard the origin, distribution, and branching pattern of the musculocutaneous nerve (MCN).

Materials and methods: Brachial plexus was dissected in 40 upper limbs of 20 male adult cadavers. The pattern of the musculocutaneous nerve was photographed by a digital camera.

Results: The location and length of the nerve branches between left and right arms were recorded and statistically analyzed. In (90%) of specimens the MCN originates from the lateral cord of the brachial plexus, in (5%) it arose from the median nerve (MN), while in the remaining (5%) specimen, it was absent. The musculocutaneous nerve pierced the coracobrachialis muscle in 90% of specimens, and in the remaining (10%) did not pierce it. The motor branches to biceps brachii muscle were categorized into: Type 1 (90%): one branch that divides to supply the two heads of biceps; Type 2 (5%): double branches, innervating each head of biceps separately. The motor branches to brachialis muscle were categorized into: Type 1 (82.9%): one branch; Type 2 (14.2%): double branches and Type 3 (2.9%): three branches that innervating brachialis muscle. Communications between the MCN and the MN were observed in 35% of specimens.

Conclusions: The knowledge of the common and uncommon musculocutaneous nerve variations is important especially to the surgeons for carrying out surgical procedures in axilla and arm.

Abstract

Background: The aim of the present work was to provide evidence about the anatomical variations as regard the origin, distribution, and branching pattern of the musculocutaneous nerve (MCN).

Materials and methods: Brachial plexus was dissected in 40 upper limbs of 20 male adult cadavers. The pattern of the musculocutaneous nerve was photographed by a digital camera.

Results: The location and length of the nerve branches between left and right arms were recorded and statistically analyzed. In (90%) of specimens the MCN originates from the lateral cord of the brachial plexus, in (5%) it arose from the median nerve (MN), while in the remaining (5%) specimen, it was absent. The musculocutaneous nerve pierced the coracobrachialis muscle in 90% of specimens, and in the remaining (10%) did not pierce it. The motor branches to biceps brachii muscle were categorized into: Type 1 (90%): one branch that divides to supply the two heads of biceps; Type 2 (5%): double branches, innervating each head of biceps separately. The motor branches to brachialis muscle were categorized into: Type 1 (82.9%): one branch; Type 2 (14.2%): double branches and Type 3 (2.9%): three branches that innervating brachialis muscle. Communications between the MCN and the MN were observed in 35% of specimens.

Conclusions: The knowledge of the common and uncommon musculocutaneous nerve variations is important especially to the surgeons for carrying out surgical procedures in axilla and arm.

Get Citation

Keywords

brachial plexus, musculocutaneous nerve, axilla, median nerve, anatomical variations

About this article
Title

The pattern of branching and intercommunications of the musculocutaneous nerve for surgical issues: anatomical study

Journal

Folia Morphologica

Issue

Ahead of Print

Article type

Original article

Published online

2021-12-31

Page views

238

Article views/downloads

145

DOI

10.5603/FM.a2021.0139

Pubmed

35037697

Keywords

brachial plexus
musculocutaneous nerve
axilla
median nerve
anatomical variations

Authors

M. G. Al-Sobhi
A. I. Zaki
F. A. Abd El Hamid
R. A Alshali
H. N. Mustafa

Regulations

Important: This website uses cookies. More >>

The cookies allow us to identify your computer and find out details about your last visit. They remembering whether you've visited the site before, so that you remain logged in - or to help us work out how many new website visitors we get each month. Most internet browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can change the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance if you prefer.

By  "Via Medica sp. z o.o." sp.k., Świętokrzyska 73, 80–180 Gdańsk, Poland

tel.:+48 58 320 94 94, faks:+48 58 320 94 60, e-mail:  viamedica@viamedica.pl