open access

Vol 64, No 1 (2013)
Original papers
Published online: 2013-02-28
Submitted: 2013-05-14
Get Citation

Transsphenoidal surgery for Cushing’s disease: the role of early post-operative serum cortisol measurements as a predictor of success — a prospective study

Przemysław Witek, Grzegorz Zieliński, Katarzyna Szamotulska, Wojciech Zgliczyński
Endokrynologia Polska 2013;64(1):30-39.

open access

Vol 64, No 1 (2013)
Original papers
Published online: 2013-02-28
Submitted: 2013-05-14

Abstract


Introduction:
Transsphenoidal surgery (TSS) is the treatment of choice for Cushing`s disease (CD). A proper assessment of the efficacy of surgical treatment is crucial in terms of patient prognosis. The aim of this study was to evaluate the usefulness of serum cortisol measurements performed on the first post-operative day as a predictor of TSS outcome.
Material and methods: This prospective study involved 36 patients with CD who were operated on using the same surgical protocol and followed up for at least 18 months (median: 30 months). We investigated the relationship between serum cortisol measurements performed on the first post-operative day and the hormonal assessment of the pituitary-adrenal axis performed after 18 months of follow-up. The adopted criteria for remission were: serum cortisol within the referral range, normal circadian rhythm, and the ability of serum cortisol to suppress to values ≤ 1.8 μg/dL after 1 mg of dexamethasone.
Results: The median serum cortisol on the first post-operative day was 1.98 μg/dL. 23 patients (63.9%) were regarded as cured. In all these cured cases, the post-op cortisol was ≤ 2.5. On the other hand, in the cases of the 13 patients (36.1%) for whom the remission of CD was not confirmed, the post-op cortisol was ≥ 2.5.
Conclusion: Our prospective study demonstrated that early post-operative serum cortisol measurements can serve as a simple and useful test that predicts the remission of CD. Furthermore, a post-operative cortisol ≤ 2.5 can be considered as a forecast of CD remission.

Abstract


Introduction:
Transsphenoidal surgery (TSS) is the treatment of choice for Cushing`s disease (CD). A proper assessment of the efficacy of surgical treatment is crucial in terms of patient prognosis. The aim of this study was to evaluate the usefulness of serum cortisol measurements performed on the first post-operative day as a predictor of TSS outcome.
Material and methods: This prospective study involved 36 patients with CD who were operated on using the same surgical protocol and followed up for at least 18 months (median: 30 months). We investigated the relationship between serum cortisol measurements performed on the first post-operative day and the hormonal assessment of the pituitary-adrenal axis performed after 18 months of follow-up. The adopted criteria for remission were: serum cortisol within the referral range, normal circadian rhythm, and the ability of serum cortisol to suppress to values ≤ 1.8 μg/dL after 1 mg of dexamethasone.
Results: The median serum cortisol on the first post-operative day was 1.98 μg/dL. 23 patients (63.9%) were regarded as cured. In all these cured cases, the post-op cortisol was ≤ 2.5. On the other hand, in the cases of the 13 patients (36.1%) for whom the remission of CD was not confirmed, the post-op cortisol was ≥ 2.5.
Conclusion: Our prospective study demonstrated that early post-operative serum cortisol measurements can serve as a simple and useful test that predicts the remission of CD. Furthermore, a post-operative cortisol ≤ 2.5 can be considered as a forecast of CD remission.
Get Citation

Keywords

Cushing’s disease; pituitary adenoma; cortisol; transsphenoidal surgery; corticotroph tumor

About this article
Title

Transsphenoidal surgery for Cushing’s disease: the role of early post-operative serum cortisol measurements as a predictor of success — a prospective study

Journal

Endokrynologia Polska

Issue

Vol 64, No 1 (2013)

Pages

30-39

Published online

2013-02-28

Bibliographic record

Endokrynologia Polska 2013;64(1):30-39.

Keywords

Cushing’s disease
pituitary adenoma
cortisol
transsphenoidal surgery
corticotroph tumor

Authors

Przemysław Witek
Grzegorz Zieliński
Katarzyna Szamotulska
Wojciech Zgliczyński

Important: This website uses cookies.tanya dokter More >>

The cookies allow us to identify your computer and find out details about your last visit. They remembering whether you've visited the site before, so that you remain logged in - or to help us work out how many new website visitors we get each month. Most internet browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can change the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance if you prefer.

Via MedicaWydawcą serwisu jest  "Via Medica sp. z o.o." sp.k., ul. Świętokrzyska 73, 80–180 Gdańsk

tel.:+48 58 320 94 94, faks:+48 58 320 94 60, e-mail:  viamedica@viamedica.pl