open access

Vol 57, No 3 (2006)
Original papers
Published online: 2006-06-28
Submitted: 2013-02-15
Get Citation

The prevalence of incidentaloma - asymptomatic thyroid nodules in the Tricity (Gdansk, Sopot, Gdynia) population

Bartosz Karaszewski, Mateusz Wilkowski, Tomasz Tomasiuk, Małgorzata Szramkowska, Anna Klasa, Łukasz Obołończyk, Piotr Wiśniewski, Wojciech Kosiak, Anna Lewczuk, Monika Berendt-Obołończyk, Krzysztof Sworczak
Endokrynologia Polska 2006;57(3):196-200.

open access

Vol 57, No 3 (2006)
Original papers
Published online: 2006-06-28
Submitted: 2013-02-15

Abstract

Introduction: The increased sensitivity of imaging devices raised number of incidentally discovered lesions in various organs of the human body. Thyroid gland is one of them. Reported prevalence of ultrasonographically detected thyroid nodules (incidentalomas) in general population ranges from 5.2 to 67.0%. Our study demonstrated occurrence of this clinical problem in the general population of the Tricity.
Material and methods: 135 healthy adults (95 women and 40 men) were examined. Neck palpation, ultrasonographic examinations of thyroid gland and serum tyreotropin (TSH) level measurement were made.
Results: In 8.9% of examine (12/135) persons nodules were palpable whereas in 14.8% (20/135) they were detectable only in ultrasonographic examination. Altogether thyroid ultrasound and palpation revealed nodules in 23.7% (32/135) of all cases. Multiple nodules were present in 12.0% of the cases. The pathology was more common in the elderly and in women. TSH serum level was within normal range in all cases of incidentaloma with otherwise normal thyroid gland.
Conclusions: Prevalence of thyroid gland nodules (palpation - 8.9% plus ultrasonography - 14.8%) in healthy population of Gdansk, Gdynia and Sopot is close to data reported in southern Finland (27.0%) and Belgium (19.0%), where iodine deficiency is small, like in the Tricity area. The revealed lesions were over two times more frequent in the female population. Most of the nodules were not palpable.

Abstract

Introduction: The increased sensitivity of imaging devices raised number of incidentally discovered lesions in various organs of the human body. Thyroid gland is one of them. Reported prevalence of ultrasonographically detected thyroid nodules (incidentalomas) in general population ranges from 5.2 to 67.0%. Our study demonstrated occurrence of this clinical problem in the general population of the Tricity.
Material and methods: 135 healthy adults (95 women and 40 men) were examined. Neck palpation, ultrasonographic examinations of thyroid gland and serum tyreotropin (TSH) level measurement were made.
Results: In 8.9% of examine (12/135) persons nodules were palpable whereas in 14.8% (20/135) they were detectable only in ultrasonographic examination. Altogether thyroid ultrasound and palpation revealed nodules in 23.7% (32/135) of all cases. Multiple nodules were present in 12.0% of the cases. The pathology was more common in the elderly and in women. TSH serum level was within normal range in all cases of incidentaloma with otherwise normal thyroid gland.
Conclusions: Prevalence of thyroid gland nodules (palpation - 8.9% plus ultrasonography - 14.8%) in healthy population of Gdansk, Gdynia and Sopot is close to data reported in southern Finland (27.0%) and Belgium (19.0%), where iodine deficiency is small, like in the Tricity area. The revealed lesions were over two times more frequent in the female population. Most of the nodules were not palpable.
Get Citation

Keywords

thyroid incidentaloma; thyroid nodules; thyroid carcinoma; thyroid ultrasonography

About this article
Title

The prevalence of incidentaloma - asymptomatic thyroid nodules in the Tricity (Gdansk, Sopot, Gdynia) population

Journal

Endokrynologia Polska

Issue

Vol 57, No 3 (2006)

Pages

196-200

Published online

2006-06-28

Bibliographic record

Endokrynologia Polska 2006;57(3):196-200.

Keywords

thyroid incidentaloma
thyroid nodules
thyroid carcinoma
thyroid ultrasonography

Authors

Bartosz Karaszewski
Mateusz Wilkowski
Tomasz Tomasiuk
Małgorzata Szramkowska
Anna Klasa
Łukasz Obołończyk
Piotr Wiśniewski
Wojciech Kosiak
Anna Lewczuk
Monika Berendt-Obołończyk
Krzysztof Sworczak

Important: This website uses cookies.tanya dokter More >>

The cookies allow us to identify your computer and find out details about your last visit. They remembering whether you've visited the site before, so that you remain logged in - or to help us work out how many new website visitors we get each month. Most internet browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can change the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance if you prefer.

Via MedicaWydawcą serwisu jest  "Via Medica sp. z o.o." sp.k., ul. Świętokrzyska 73, 80–180 Gdańsk

tel.:+48 58 320 94 94, faks:+48 58 320 94 60, e-mail:  viamedica@viamedica.pl