open access

Vol 9, No 3 (2007)
Published online: 2008-01-04
Get Citation

Intussusception in children - a change in management strategy

Marek Krakós, Renata Gawrońska, Wojciech Kuzański, Jerzy Niedzielski
Chirurgia Polska 2007;9(3):162-169.

open access

Vol 9, No 3 (2007)
Published online: 2008-01-04

Abstract

Background: Intussusception is one of the most frequent causes of intestinal obstruction in children created by telescope-like invagination of the proximal bowel into the adjacent distal bowel. This study is a comparison of methods and results of treatment of children with intussusception treated in one centre of pediatric surgery during two periods of time.
Material and methods: The incidence of intussusception regarding the sex and age of children, the method of treatment, as well as the number and kind of complications was analyzed in two groups; group 1 - 15 children (10 boys and 5 girls), aged 3 days to 24 months (mean 8.1 months), hospitalized during 1993-1998, and group 2 - 25 children (19 boys and 6 girls), aged 3 months to 10 years (mean 17 months), treated during the period of 1999-2005.
Results: In both examined groups, boys prevailed (67% and 76%) and intussusception occurred more frequently in children between 2 and 9 months of age. All children from group 1 underwent surgery, while in group 2 the operation was performed in 8 patients (32%) and in the remaining 17 children (68%) hydrostatic contrast enema under fluoroscopy was done. It was successful in 16 patients, in 1 instance a conversion to the open operation was done. Complications such as necrosis and perforation were observed in 3 children (20%) from group 1 and in 3 patients (12%) from group 2. In all these patients, a segmental resection of the intestine with following anastomosis or creation of the stoma was performed.
Conclusions: A change in management strategy enabled one to limit the indications for operative treatment in children with intussusception (37% vs. 100%), while not causing an increase of the frequency of complications at the same time. The majority of complications was observed in patients not meeting criteria for a hydrostatic enema and qualified for a laparotomy. A hydrostatic contrast enema, while keeping strict criteria regrading qualifications, is, in the authors’ opinion, the treatment of choice in children with intussusception.

Abstract

Background: Intussusception is one of the most frequent causes of intestinal obstruction in children created by telescope-like invagination of the proximal bowel into the adjacent distal bowel. This study is a comparison of methods and results of treatment of children with intussusception treated in one centre of pediatric surgery during two periods of time.
Material and methods: The incidence of intussusception regarding the sex and age of children, the method of treatment, as well as the number and kind of complications was analyzed in two groups; group 1 - 15 children (10 boys and 5 girls), aged 3 days to 24 months (mean 8.1 months), hospitalized during 1993-1998, and group 2 - 25 children (19 boys and 6 girls), aged 3 months to 10 years (mean 17 months), treated during the period of 1999-2005.
Results: In both examined groups, boys prevailed (67% and 76%) and intussusception occurred more frequently in children between 2 and 9 months of age. All children from group 1 underwent surgery, while in group 2 the operation was performed in 8 patients (32%) and in the remaining 17 children (68%) hydrostatic contrast enema under fluoroscopy was done. It was successful in 16 patients, in 1 instance a conversion to the open operation was done. Complications such as necrosis and perforation were observed in 3 children (20%) from group 1 and in 3 patients (12%) from group 2. In all these patients, a segmental resection of the intestine with following anastomosis or creation of the stoma was performed.
Conclusions: A change in management strategy enabled one to limit the indications for operative treatment in children with intussusception (37% vs. 100%), while not causing an increase of the frequency of complications at the same time. The majority of complications was observed in patients not meeting criteria for a hydrostatic enema and qualified for a laparotomy. A hydrostatic contrast enema, while keeping strict criteria regrading qualifications, is, in the authors’ opinion, the treatment of choice in children with intussusception.
Get Citation

Keywords

intussusception; operative treatment; hydrostatic contrast enema; complications; children

About this article
Title

Intussusception in children - a change in management strategy

Journal

Chirurgia Polska (Polish Surgery)

Issue

Vol 9, No 3 (2007)

Pages

162-169

Published online

2008-01-04

Bibliographic record

Chirurgia Polska 2007;9(3):162-169.

Keywords

intussusception
operative treatment
hydrostatic contrast enema
complications
children

Authors

Marek Krakós
Renata Gawrońska
Wojciech Kuzański
Jerzy Niedzielski

Important: This website uses cookies. More >>

The cookies allow us to identify your computer and find out details about your last visit. They remembering whether you've visited the site before, so that you remain logged in - or to help us work out how many new website visitors we get each month. Most internet browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can change the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance if you prefer.

Via MedicaBy "Via Medica sp. z o.o." sp.k., ul. Świętokrzyska 73, 80–180 Gdańsk

tel.:+48 58 320 94 94, faks:+48 58 320 94 60, e-mail: viamedica@viamedica.pl