EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitors in the treatment of brain metastases in non-small cell lung cancer
non-small cell lung cancer; brain metastasis; tyrosine kinase inhibitors; gefitinib; erlotinib
EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitors in the treatment of brain metastases in non-small cell lung cancer
Onkol. Prak. Klin 2009;5(3):92-98.
non-small cell lung cancer
tyrosine kinase inhibitors
- Wojciechowska U, Didkowska J, Zatoński W. Nowotwory złośliwe w Polsce w 2006 roku. . Centrum Onkologii, Instytut im. M Skłodowskiej, Warszawa 2008.
- Yano T, Yokoyama H, Inoue T, et al. The first site of recurrence after complete resection in non-small-cell carcinoma of the lung. Comparison between pN0 disease and pN2 disease. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1994; 108(4): 680–683.
- Yokoi K, Miyazawa N, Arai T. Brain metastasis in resected lung cancer: value of intensive follow-up with computed tomography. Ann Thorac Surg. 1996; 61(2): 546–550.
- Younes RN, Gross JL, Deheinzelin D. Follow-up in lung cancer: how often and for what purpose? Chest. 1999; 115(6): 1494–1499.
- Yawn BP, Wollan PC, Schroeder C, et al. Temporal and gender-related trends in brain metastases from lung and breast cancer. Minn Med. 2003; 86(12): 32–37.
- Olak J, Ferguson MK. Surgical management of second primary and metastatic lung cancer. W: Pass H.I. (red.). Lung cancer: principles and practice. Lipincott-Raven, Philadelphia 2000: 730–741.
- Schouten LJ, Rutten J, Huveneers HAM, et al. Incidence of brain metastases in a cohort of patients with carcinoma of the breast, colon, kidney, and lung and melanoma. Cancer. 2002; 94(10): 2698–2705.
- Jacobs RH, Awan A, Bitran JD, et al. Prophylactic cranial irradiation in adenocarcinoma of the lung. A possible role. Cancer. 1987; 59(12): 2016–2019.
- Ceresoli GL, Reni M, Chiesa G, et al. Brain metastases in locally advanced nonsmall cell lung carcinoma after multimodality treatment: risk factors analysis. Cancer. 2002; 95(3): 605–612.
- Robnett TJ, Machtay M, Stevenson JP, et al. Factors affecting the risk of brain metastases after definitive chemoradiation for locally advanced non-small-cell lung carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 2001; 19(5): 1344–1349.
- Tang SG, Lin FJ, Leung WM. Impact of prophylactic cranial irradiation in adenocarcinoma of the lung. J Formos Med Assoc. 1993; 92(5): 413–419.
- Bajard A, Westeel V, Dubiez A, et al. Multivariate analysis of factors predictive of brain metastases in localised non-small cell lung carcinoma. Lung Cancer. 2004; 45(3): 317–323.
- Andre F, Grunenwald D, Pujol JL, et al. Patterns of relapse of N2 nonsmall-cell lung carcinoma patients treated with preoperative chemotherapy: should prophylactic cranial irradiation be reconsidered? Cancer. 2001; 91(12): 2394–2400.
- Gaspar L, Scott C, Rotman M, et al. Recursive partitioning analysis (RPA) of prognostic factors in three radiation therapy oncology group (RTOG) brain metastases trials. International Journal of Radiation Oncology*Biology*Physics. 1997; 37(4): 745–751.
- Takahashi H, Ohrui T, Ebihara S, et al. Effect of gefitinib (ZD1839) on metastatic brain tumour. Lung Cancer. 2004; 43(3): 371–372.
- Villano JL, Mauer AM, Vokes EE. A case study documenting the anticancer activity of ZD1839 (Iressa) in the brain. Ann Oncol. 2003; 14(4): 656–658.
- Popat S, Hughes S, Papadopoulos P, et al. Recurrent responses to non-small cell lung cancer brain metastases with erlotinib. Lung Cancer. 2007; 56(1): 135–137.
- Fujiwara K, Kiura K, Ueoka H, et al. Dramatic effect of ZD1839 ('Iressa') in a patient with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer and poor performance status. Lung Cancer. 2003; 40(1): 73–76.
- Cappuzzo F, Calandri C, Bartolini S, et al. ZD 1839 in patients with brain metastases from non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC): report of four cases. Br J Cancer. 2003; 89(2): 246–247.
- Nishi N, Kawai S, Yonezawa T, et al. Effect of gefitinib on brain metastases from non-small cell lung cancer. Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo). 2006; 46(10): 504–507.
- Gounant V, Wislez M, Poulot V, et al. Subsequent brain metastasis responses to epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors in a patient with non-small-cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer. 2007; 58(3): 425–428.
- Choong NW, Dietrich S, Seiwert TY, et al. Gefitinib response of erlotinib-refractory lung cancer involving meninges--role of EGFR mutation. Nat Clin Pract Oncol. 2006; 3(1): 50–57.
- Hashimoto N, Imaizumi K, Honda T, et al. Successful re-treatment with gefitinib for carcinomatous meningitis as disease recurrence of non-small-cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer. 2006; 53(3): 387–390.
- Lai CSL, Boshoff C, Falzon M, et al. Complete response to erlotinib treatment in brain metastases from recurrent NSCLC. Thorax. 2006; 61(1): 91.
- Ishida A, Kanoh K, Nishisaka T, et al. Gefitinib as a first line of therapy in non-small cell lung cancer with brain metastases. Intern Med. 2004; 43(8): 718–720.
- Fekrazad MH, Ravindranathan M, Jones DV. Response of intracranial metastases to erlotinib therapy. J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25(31): 5024–5026.
- Wagner M, Besse B, Balleyguier C, et al. Leptomeningeal and medullary response to second-line erlotinib in lung adenocarcinoma. J Thorac Oncol. 2008; 3(6): 677–679.
- Fukuoka M, Yano S, Giaccone G, et al. Multi-institutional randomized phase II trial of gefitinib for previously treated patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (The IDEAL 1 Trial) [corrected]. J Clin Oncol. 2003; 21(12): 2237–2246.
- Kris MG, Natale RB, Herbst RS, et al. Efficacy of gefitinib, an inhibitor of the epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase, in symptomatic patients with non-small cell lung cancer: a randomized trial. JAMA. 2003; 290(16): 2149–2158.
- Shepherd FA, Rodrigues Pereira J, Ciuleanu T, et al. National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group. Erlotinib in previously treated non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med. 2005; 353(2): 123–132.
- Koehler PJ. Use of corticosteroids in neuro-oncology. Anticancer Drugs. 1995; 6(1): 19–33.
- Namba Y, Kijima T, Yokota S, et al. Gefitinib in patients with brain metastases from non-small-cell lung cancer: review of 15 clinical cases. Clin Lung Cancer. 2004; 6(2): 123–128.
- Ceresoli GL, Cappuzzo F, Gregorc V, et al. Gefitinib in patients with brain metastases from non-small-cell lung cancer: a prospective trial. Ann Oncol. 2004; 15(7): 1042–1047.
- Hotta K, Kiura K, Ueoka H, et al. Effect of gefitinib ('Iressa', ZD1839) on brain metastases in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer. 2004; 46(2): 255–261.
- Chiu CH, Tsai CM, Chen YM, et al. Gefitinib is active in patients with brain metastases from non-small cell lung cancer and response is related to skin toxicity. Lung Cancer. 2005; 47(1): 129–138.
- Wu C, Li YL, Wang ZM, et al. Gefitinib as palliative therapy for lung adenocarcinoma metastatic to the brain. Lung Cancer. 2007; 57(3): 359–364.
- Kim JE, Lee DHo, Choi Y, et al. Epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors as a first-line therapy for never-smokers with adenocarcinoma of the lung having asymptomatic synchronous brain metastasis. Lung Cancer. 2009; 65(3): 351–354.
- Gridelli C, Maione P, Castaldo V, et al. Gefitinib in elderly and unfit patients affected by advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. Br J Cancer. 2003; 89(10): 1827–1829.
- Sørensen JB, Hansen HH, Hansen M, et al. Brain metastases in adenocarcinoma of the lung: frequency, risk groups, and prognosis. J Clin Oncol. 1988; 6(9): 1474–1480.
- de Rijke JM, Schouten LJ, Schouten HC, et al. Age-specific differences in the diagnostics and treatment of cancer patients aged 50 years and older in the province of Limburg, The Netherlands. Ann Oncol. 1996; 7(7): 677–685.
- Inoue A, Suzuki T, Fukuhara T, et al. Prospective phase II study of gefitinib for chemotherapy-naive patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer with epidermal growth factor receptor gene mutations. J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24(21): 3340–3346.
- Paz-Ares L, Snchez M, Garcia-Velasco A, et al. A prospective phase II trial of erlotinib in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (NDRP) patients with mutations in the tyrosine kinase domain of the epidermal growth factor receptor. J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 369s.
- Cappuzzo F, Hirsch FR, Rossi E, et al. Epidermal growth factor receptor gene and protein and gefitinib sensitivity in non-small-cell lung cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2005; 97(9): 643–655.
- Hirsch FR, Varella-Garcia M, Cappuzzo F, et al. Combination of EGFR gene copy number and protein expression predicts outcome for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer patients treated with gefitinib. Ann Oncol. 2007; 18(4): 752–760.
- Tsao MS, Sakurada A, Cutz JC, et al. Erlotinib in lung cancer - molecular and clinical predictors of outcome. N Engl J Med. 2005; 353(2): 133–144.
- Takano T, Ohe Y, Sakamoto H, et al. Epidermal growth factor receptor gene mutations and increased copy numbers predict gefitinib sensitivity in patients with recurrent non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23(28): 6829–6837.
- Dziadziuszko R, Witta SE, Cappuzzo F, et al. Epidermal growth factor receptor messenger RNA expression, gene dosage, and gefitinib sensitivity in non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2006; 12(10): 3078–3084.
- Eberhard DA, Giaccone G, Johnson BE, et al. Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer Working Group. Biomarkers of response to epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitors in Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer Working Group: standardization for use in the clinical trial setting. J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26(6): 983–994.
- Omuro AMP, Kris MG, Miller VA, et al. High incidence of disease recurrence in the brain and leptomeninges in patients with nonsmall cell lung carcinoma after response to gefitinib. Cancer. 2005; 103(11): 2344–2348.
- Breedveld P, Pluim D, Cipriani G, et al. The effect of Bcrp1 (Abcg2) on the in vivo pharmacokinetics and brain penetration of imatinib mesylate (Gleevec): implications for the use of breast cancer resistance protein and P-glycoprotein inhibitors to enable the brain penetration of imatinib in patients. Cancer Res. 2005; 65(7): 2577–2582.
- Deeken JF, Löscher W. The blood-brain barrier and cancer: transporters, treatment, and Trojan horses. Clin Cancer Res. 2007; 13(6): 1663–1674.
- Jackman DM, Holmes AJ, Lindeman N, et al. Response and resistance in a non-small-cell lung cancer patient with an epidermal growth factor receptor mutation and leptomeningeal metastases treated with high-dose gefitinib. J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24(27): 4517–4520.
- Barker AJ, Gibson KH, Grundy W, et al. Studies leading to the identification of ZD1839 (IRESSA): an orally active, selective epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor targeted to the treatment of cancer. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2001; 11(14): 1911–1914.
- Heimberger AB, Learn CA, Archer GE, et al. Brain tumors in mice are susceptible to blockade of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) with the oral, specific, EGFR-tyrosine kinase inhibitor ZD1839 (iressa). Clin Cancer Res. 2002; 8(11): 3496–3502.
- Perez-Soler R, Dai Q, Ling YH, et al. O-247 Molecular mechanisms of sensitivity and resistance to the HER1/EGFR-tyrosine kinase inhibitor erlotinib (Tarceva™). Lung Cancer. 2003; 41: S72.
- Liang Ke, Ang KK, Milas L, et al. The epidermal growth factor receptor mediates radioresistance. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2003; 57(1): 246–254.
- Milas L, Fan Z, Mason K. Role of epidermal growth factor receptor and its inhibition in radiotherapy. In: Nieder C, Milas L, Ang KK. ed. Modification of radiation response: cytokines, growth factors and other biological targets. Springer, Berlin 2003: 189–204.
- Huang YJ, Liu SF, Wang CJ, et al. Exacerbated radiodermatitis and bilateral subdural hemorrhage after whole brain irradiation combined with epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors for brain metastases in lung cancer. Lung Cancer. 2008; 59(3): 407–410.
- Yi HG, Kim HJ, Kim YuJ, et al. Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) tyrosine kinase inhibitors (TKIs) are effective for leptomeningeal metastasis from non-small cell lung cancer patients with sensitive EGFR mutation or other predictive factors of good response for EGFR TKI. Lung Cancer. 2009; 65(1): 80–84.
- Cho BC, Im CK, Park MS, et al. Phase II study of erlotinib in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer after failure of gefitinib. J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25(18): 2528–2533.
- Chang JWC, Chou CL, Huang SF, et al. Erlotinib response of EGFR-mutant gefitinib-resistant non-small-cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer. 2007; 58(3): 414–417.
- Lee DH, Kim SW, Suh C, et al. Phase II study of erlotinib as a salvage treatment for non-small-cell lung cancer patients after failure of gefitinib treatment. Ann Oncol. 2008; 19(12): 2039–2042.
- Pardridge WM. Blood-brain barrier drug targeting: the future of brain drug development. Mol Interv. 2003; 3(2): 90-105-151.
- Löscher W, Potschka H, Löscher W, et al. Role of drug efflux transporters in the brain for drug disposition and treatment of brain diseases. Prog Neurobiol. 2005; 76(1): 22–76.
- Löscher W, Potschka H. Drug resistance in brain diseases and the role of drug efflux transporters. Nature Reviews Neuroscience. 2005; 6(8): 591–602.