Selected reports from San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, December 9-13, 2009
Selected reports from San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, December 9-13, 2009
Congress abstract / Abstract
Onkol. Prak. Klin 2009;5(6):263-272.
- Tutt A, Ashworth A. Can genetic testing guide treatment in breast cancer? Eur J Cancer. 2008; 44(18): 2774–2780.
- Goodwin PJ, Ennis M, Bahl M, et al. High insulin levels in newly diagnosed breast cancer patients reflect underlying insulin resistance and are associated with components of the insulin resistance syndrome. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2009; 114(3): 517–525.
- Harris L, Fritsche H, Mennel R, et al. American Society of Clinical Oncology. American Society of Clinical Oncology 2007 update of recommendations for the use of tumor markers in breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25(33): 5287–5312.
- Goldhirsch A, Gelber RD, Piccart-Gebhart MJ, et al. Herceptin Adjuvant (HERA) Trial Study Team, HERA study team, Herceptin Adjuvant (HERA) Trial Study Team. Trastuzumab after adjuvant chemotherapy in HER2-positive breast cancer. N Engl J Med. 2005; 353(16): 1659–1672.
- Ryan PD, Goss PE. The emerging role of the insulin-like growth factor pathway as a therapeutic target in cancer. Oncologist. 2008; 13(1): 16–24.
- Budd GT, Cristofanilli M, Ellis MJ, et al. Circulating tumor cells, disease progression, and survival in metastatic breast cancer. N Engl J Med. 2004; 351(8): 781–791.
- Bartlett JMS, Brookes C, Robson T, et al. The TEAM trial pathology study identifies potential prognostic and predictive biomarker models for postmenopausal patients treated with endocrine therapy. Cancer Res. 2009; 69: 503s (abstr. 75).
- Romond EH, Perez EA, Bryant J, et al. Trastuzumab plus adjuvant chemotherapy for operable HER2-positive breast cancer. N Engl J Med. 2005; 353(16): 1673–1684.
- Tutt A, Robson M, Garber JE, et al. Phase II trial of the oral PARP inhibitor olaparib in BRCA-deficient advanced breast cancer. . J. Clin. Oncol. 2009; 27(803): (abstr. 501).
- O'Shaughnessy J, Osborne C, Pippen J, et al. Efficacy of BSI-201, a poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 (PARP1) inhibitor, in combination with gemcitabine/carboplatin (G/C) in patients with metastatic triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC): Results of a randomized phase II trial. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2009; 27(793): (abstr. 3).
- Evans JMM, Donnelly LA, Emslie-Smith AM, et al. Metformin and reduced risk of cancer in diabetic patients. BMJ. 2005; 330(7503): 1304–1305.
- Budd GT, Cristofanilli M, Ellis MJ, et al. Circulating tumor cells versus imaging--predicting overall survival in metastatic breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2006; 12(21): 6403–6409.
- Dowsett M, Allred C, Knox J, et al. Relationship between quantitative estrogen and progesterone receptor expression and human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER-2) status with recurrence in the Arimidex, Tamoxifen, Alone or in Combination trial. J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26(7): 1059–1065.
- Hollier BG, Evans K, Mani SA. The epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition and cancer stem cells: a coalition against cancer therapies. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia. 2009; 14(1): 29–43.
- Viale G, Regan MM, Maiorano E, et al. Prognostic and predictive value of centrally reviewed expression of estrogen and progesterone receptors in a randomized trial comparing letrozole and tamoxifen adjuvant therapy for postmenopausal early breast cancer: BIG 1-98. J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25(25): 3846–3852.
- Jiralerspong S, Palla SL, Giordano SH, et al. Metformin and pathologic complete responses to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in diabetic patients with breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27(20): 3297–3302.
- de Azambuja E, Procter MJ, van Veldhuisen DJ, et al. Herceptin Adjuvant (HERA) Trial Study Team, HERA study team. 2-year follow-up of trastuzumab after adjuvant chemotherapy in HER2-positive breast cancer: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2007; 369(9555): 29–36.
- Spielmann M, Roche H, Delozier T, et al. Trastuzumab for patients with axillary lymph node positive breast cancer: Results from FNCLCC-PACS 04 trial. J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 6129–6134.
- Rasmussen BB, Regan MM, Lykkesfeldt AE, et al. BIG 1-98 Collaborative and International Breast Cancer Study Groups. Adjuvant letrozole versus tamoxifen according to centrally-assessed ERBB2 status for postmenopausal women with endocrine-responsive early breast cancer: supplementary results from the BIG 1-98 randomised trial. Lancet Oncol. 2008; 9(1): 23–28.
- Alimova IN, Liu B, Fan Z, et al. Metformin inhibits breast cancer cell growth, colony formation and induces cell cycle arrest in vitro. Cell Cycle. 2009; 8(6): 909–915.
- Alves CC, Carneiro F, Hoefler H, et al. Role of the epithelial-mesenchymal transition regulator Slug in primary human cancers. Front Biosci (Landmark Ed). 2009; 14: 3035–3050.
- Elloul S, Elstrand MB, Nesland JM, et al. Snail, Slug, and Smad-interacting protein 1 as novel parameters of disease aggressiveness in metastatic ovarian and breast carcinoma. Cancer. 2005; 103(8): 1631–1643.
- Goodwin PJ, Ligibel JA, Stambolic V. Metformin in breast cancer: time for action. J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27(20): 3271–3273.
- Cuzick J, Dowsett M, Wale C, et al. Prognostic value of combined ER, Pg, Ki 67, HER2 immunohistochemical (IHC4) score and comparison with the GHI recurrence score-results from TransATAC. . Cancer Res. 2009; 69: 503 (abstr. 74).
- Perez EA, Suman VJ, Davidson NE, et al. Results of chemotherapy alone, with sequential or concurrent addition of 52 weeks of trastuzumab in the NCCTG N9831 HER2-Positive Adjuvant Breast Cancer Trial. SABCS LBA. 2009: Abstrakt 80.
- Goodwin PJ. Insulin in the adjuvant breast cancer setting: a novel therapeutic target for lifestyle and pharmacologic interventions? J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26(6): 833–834.
- Perez EA, Suman VJ, Davidson NE, et al. Cardiac safety analysis of doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide followed by paclitaxel with or without trastuzumab in the North Central Cancer Treatment Group N9831 adjuvant breast cancer trial. J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26(8): 1231–1238.
- Viale G, Dell’Orto P, Regan MM, et al. Central review of ER, PgR and HER2 in BIG 1-98 evaluating letrozol vs letrozol followed by tamoxifen vs tamoxifen followed by letrozol as adjuvant endocrine therapy for postmenopausal women with hormone receptor positive breast cancer. Cancer Res. 2009; 69: 504 (abstr. 76).
- Watson MA, Ylagan LR, Trinkaus KM, et al. Isolation and molecular profiling of bone marrow micrometastases identifies TWIST1 as a marker of early tumor relapse in breast cancer patients. Clin Cancer Res. 2007; 13(17): 5001–5009.
- Dowsett M, Salter J, Hills M, et al. Short-term presurgical treatment for all? Breast Cancer Res. 2007; 9: S13.
- Tan-Chiu E, Yothers G, Romond E, et al. Assessment of cardiac dysfunction in a randomized trial comparing doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide followed by paclitaxel, with or without trastuzumab as adjuvant therapy in node-positive. Human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 — overexpressing. Breast Cancer: NSABP B-31. J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 1231–1238.
- Mego M, Mani S, Li C, et al. Circulating tumor cells and epithelial mesenchymal transition in breast cancer: describing the heterogeneity of microscopic disease. Cancer Res. 2009; 69: 649 (abstr. 3011).
- Viale G, Giobbie-Hurder A, Regan MM, et al. Breast International Group Trial 1-98. Prognostic and predictive value of centrally reviewed Ki-67 labeling index in postmenopausal women with endocrine-responsive breast cancer: results from Breast International Group Trial 1-98 comparing adjuvant tamoxifen with letrozole. J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26(34): 5569–5575.
- Bartel DP. MicroRNAs: genomics, biogenesis, mechanism, and function. Cell. 2004; 116(2): 281–297.
- Slamon D, Eiermann W, Robert N, et al. Phase III randomized trial comparing doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide followed by docetaxel (AC›T) with doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide followed by docetaxel and trastuzumab (AC›TH) with docetaxel, carboplatin and trastuzumab (TCH) in Her2neu positive early breast cancer patients: BCIRG 006 Study. SABCS. 2009(LBA): Abstrakt 62.
- von Minckwitz G, du Bois A, Schmidt M, et al. Trastuzumab beyond progression in human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive advanced breast cancer: a german breast group 26/breast international group 03-05 study. J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27(12): 1999–2006.
- Lowery AJ, Miller N, McNeill RE, et al. MicroRNAs as prognostic indicators and therapeutic targets: potential effect on breast cancer management. Clin Cancer Res. 2008; 14(2): 360–365.
- Ellis MJ, Luo J, Tao Y, et al. Tumor Ki 67 proliferation index within 4 weeks of initiating neoadjuvant endocrine therapy for early identification of non-responders. . Cancer Res. 2009; 69: 504 (abstr. 78).
- Geyer CE, Forster J, Lindquist D, et al. Lapatinib plus capecitabine for HER2-positive advanced breast cancer. N Engl J Med. 2006; 355(26): 2733–2743.
- Goetz MP, Berry DA, Klein TE. International tamoxifen pharmacogenomics consorcium. . Cancer Res. 2009; 69(492): (abstr. 33).
- Blackwell KL, Burstein HJ, Sledge GW, et al. Updated survival analysis of a randomized study of lapatinib alone or in combination with trastuzumab in women with HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer progressing on trastuzumab therapy. Cancer Research. 2009; 24(supl.): 499 (Abstrakt 61).
- Di Leo A, Biganzoli L, Claudino W, et al. Topoisomerase II alpha as a marker predicting anthracyclines' activity in early breast cancer patients: ready for the primetime? Eur J Cancer. 2008; 44(18): 2791–2798.
- Slamon D, Eiermann W, Robert N, et al. Phase III randoized trial comparing doxorubicin and cyclophosphamid followed by docetaxel (ACaT) with doxorubicin and cyclophosphamid followed by docetaxel and trastuzumab (ACaT) with docetaxel, carboplatin and trastuzumab (TCH) i H2neu positive arly breast cancer patients: BCIRG00 study. Cancer Res. 2009; 69: 500 (abstr. 62).
- Baselga J, Cortes J, Fumoleau P, et al. Pertuzumab and trastuzumab: re-responses to 2 biological agents in patients with HER2- positive breast cancer which had previously progressed during therapy with each agent given separately: a new biological and clinical observation. Cancer Research. 2009; 24(supl.): 803.
- Gianni L, Norton L, Wolmark N, et al. Role of anthracyclines in the treatment of early breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27(28): 4798–4808.
- Krop I, LoRusso P, Miller KD, et al. A phase II study of trastuzumab-DM1 (T-DM1), a novel HER2 antibody-drug conjugate, in patients previously treated with lapatinib, trastuzumab, and chemotherapy. . Cancer Research. 2009; 24(supl.): 795 (Abstrakt 5090).
- Hurvitz SA, Betting D, Stern HM, et al. Analysis of Fc? receptor IIa and Iii polymorphisms: correlation with outcome in trastuzumab treated Her2/neu amplified early and metastatic breast cancer patients. . Cancer Res. 2009; 69: 500s (abstr. 64).
- Cella D, Wang M, Wagner L, et al. Paclitaxel plus bevacizumab versus paclitaxel alone for metastatic breast cancer. N Engl J Med. 2007; 357(26): 2666–2676.
- Robert NJ, Dieras V, Glaspy J, et al. RIBBON-1: Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase III trial of chemotherapy with or without bevacizumab (B) for first-line treatment of HER2- negative locally recurrent or metastatic breast cancer (MBC). J. Clin. Oncol. 2009; 27(supl. 18): 15 (Abstrakt 1005).
- Miles DW, Chan A, Romieu G, et al. Final overall survival (OS) results from the randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase III AVADO study of bevacizumab (BV) plus docetaxel (D) compared with placebo (PL) plus D for the first-line treatment of locally recurrent (LR) or metastatic breast cancer (mBC). Cancer Research. 2009; 24(supl.): 495 (Abstrakt 41).
- Brufsky A, Bondarenko IN, Smirnov V, et al. RIBBON-2: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase III trial evaluating the efficacy and safety of bevacizumab in combination with chemotherapy for second-line treatment of HER2-negative metastatic breast cancer. Cancer Research. 2009; 24(supl.): 495.
- Gradishar WJ, Kaklamani V, Prasad Sahoo T, et al. A doubleblind, randomized, placebo-controlled, phase 2b study evaluating the efficacy and safety of sorafenib (SOR) in combination with paclitaxel (PAC) as a first-line therapy in patients (pts) with locally recurrent or metastatic breast cancer (BC). Cancer Research. 2009; 24(supl.): 496 (Abstrakt 44).
- Baselga J, Grupo Es, Roché H, et al. SOLTI-0701: a multinational double-blind, randomized phase 2b study evaluating the efficacy and safety of sorafenib compared to placebo when administered in combination with capecitabine in patients with locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer (BC). Cancer Research. 2009; 24(supl.): 497 (Abstrakt 45).
- Barrios C, Liu MC, Lee SC, et al. Phase III randomized trial of sunitinib (SU) vs. capecitabine (C) in patients (Pts) with previously treated HER2-negative advanced breast cancer (ABC). Cancer Research. 2009; 24(supl.): 497 (Abstrakt 46).
- Mackey J, Hurvitz S, Crown J, et al. CIRG/TORI 010: 10-month analysis of a randomized phase II trial of motesanib plus weekly paclitaxel as first line therapy in HER2-negative metastatic breast cancer (MBC). Cancer Research. 2009; 24(supl.): 497.