open access

Vol 4, No 2 (2001)
Short communications
Published online: 2001-07-23
Submitted: 2012-01-23
Get Citation

Metabolic characterisation of solitary pulmonary nodules by positron emission tomography with FDG - preliminary report

Otakar Belohlavek, Katerina Kosatova, Libuse Melinova, Boris Śtastny, Zdenek Skacel, Miloslav Marel, Jan Schutzner, Pavel Pafko
Nucl. Med. Rev 2001;4(2):97-100.

open access

Vol 4, No 2 (2001)
Short communications
Published online: 2001-07-23
Submitted: 2012-01-23

Abstract


BACKGROUND: In the past some authors evaluated FDG-PET as a powerful tool for non-invasive assessment of malignancy of solitary pulmonary nodules (SPN). The aim of this paper is to verify the performance of positron emission tomography with fludeoxyglucose (FDG-PET) in SPN in the conditions of the Czech Republic during the first 16 months of the operation of the PET Centre Prague.
MATERIAL AND METHODS: The group of 22 patients with 23 SPN was investigated by dedicated PET scanner due to inconclusive CT scan. icromorphological confirmation was available in 61%; follow-up (median = 12 months) concerned the other 39% SPN.
RESULTS: PET was clearly positive in 11 nodules, all were malignant according to micromorphological assessment. PET was completely negative in 10 nodules, 3 of them were micromorphologically evaluated as benign, the other 7 nodules were followed up without any signs of malignancy. In two cases, PET revealed enhanced glucose consumption, but the pattern was not typical for malignancy. These cases were considered as bronchopneumonia, but till now, they have not been definitely
resolved.
CONCLUSIONS: Excluding two unresolved cases, sensitivity and specificity of FDG-PET was 100% for malignancy in our series. PET was helpful in medical decision-making in all patients.

Abstract


BACKGROUND: In the past some authors evaluated FDG-PET as a powerful tool for non-invasive assessment of malignancy of solitary pulmonary nodules (SPN). The aim of this paper is to verify the performance of positron emission tomography with fludeoxyglucose (FDG-PET) in SPN in the conditions of the Czech Republic during the first 16 months of the operation of the PET Centre Prague.
MATERIAL AND METHODS: The group of 22 patients with 23 SPN was investigated by dedicated PET scanner due to inconclusive CT scan. icromorphological confirmation was available in 61%; follow-up (median = 12 months) concerned the other 39% SPN.
RESULTS: PET was clearly positive in 11 nodules, all were malignant according to micromorphological assessment. PET was completely negative in 10 nodules, 3 of them were micromorphologically evaluated as benign, the other 7 nodules were followed up without any signs of malignancy. In two cases, PET revealed enhanced glucose consumption, but the pattern was not typical for malignancy. These cases were considered as bronchopneumonia, but till now, they have not been definitely
resolved.
CONCLUSIONS: Excluding two unresolved cases, sensitivity and specificity of FDG-PET was 100% for malignancy in our series. PET was helpful in medical decision-making in all patients.
Get Citation

Keywords

positron emission tomography; PET; FDG; solitary pulmonary nodules; SPN

About this article
Title

Metabolic characterisation of solitary pulmonary nodules by positron emission tomography with FDG - preliminary report

Journal

Nuclear Medicine Review

Issue

Vol 4, No 2 (2001)

Pages

97-100

Published online

2001-07-23

Bibliographic record

Nucl. Med. Rev 2001;4(2):97-100.

Keywords

positron emission tomography
PET
FDG
solitary pulmonary nodules
SPN

Authors

Otakar Belohlavek
Katerina Kosatova
Libuse Melinova
Boris Śtastny
Zdenek Skacel
Miloslav Marel
Jan Schutzner
Pavel Pafko

Important: This website uses cookies. More >>

The cookies allow us to identify your computer and find out details about your last visit. They remembering whether you've visited the site before, so that you remain logged in - or to help us work out how many new website visitors we get each month. Most internet browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can change the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance if you prefer.

By "Via Medica sp. z o.o." sp.k., Świętokrzyska 73 street, 80–180 Gdańsk, Poland

tel.:+48 58 320 94 94, faks:+48 58 320 94 60, e-mail: viamedica@viamedica.pl