open access

Vol 87, No 4 (2016)
ORIGINAL PAPERS Gynecology
Published online: 2016-05-23
Get Citation

The role of HE4 in differentiating benign and malignant endometrial pathology

Emilia Gąsiorowska, Magdalena Magnowska, Natalia Iżycka, Wojciech Warchoł, Ewa Nowak-Markwitz
DOI: 10.17772/gp/62356
·
Pubmed: 27321096
·
Ginekol Pol 2016;87(4):260-264.

open access

Vol 87, No 4 (2016)
ORIGINAL PAPERS Gynecology
Published online: 2016-05-23

Abstract

Objectives: The incidence of endometrial cancer is constantly growing. More aggressive types of endometrial cancer as well as the incidence in younger women is being observed. More than 80% of cases is diagnosed in early stages due to early symptoms like abnormal bleeding. The remaining 20% of asymptomatic cases of endometrial cancer as well as the cases of false negative histopathological diagnoses are mostly the incidences of serous endometrial cancer and are a true diagnostic and therapeutic challenge. This was the reason of our study in which we proposed investigation of HE4 levels as a complementary diagnostic method in management and diagnosing of EC.

Material and methods: Serum HE4 level was measured in 92 patients with abnormal vaginal bleeding. Based on histhology after curretage the study group was divided into the benign and malignant endometrial pathology groups. Statistical analysis was performed using Mann-Whitney test

Results: The difference of serum HE4 level between benign endometrial pathology and cancer was significant (p = 0.000) and the cut-off for identification of patients with endometrial cancer was 58.08 pmol/l. There was a significant difference between G2 and G3 endometrial cancer, and G1 and G3. (p = 0,4 and p = 0,008 respectively) Patients who needed lymphadenectomy had significantly higher HE4 level than those who had no indications for this procedure (p = 0,001).

Conclusions: HE4 is a useful biomarker in diagnosing endometrial cancer. HE4 is associated with high grade endometrial cancer. It can also serve as an useful preoperative counseling tool to identify patients, who may require pelvic and paraaortic lymphadenectomy.

Abstract

Objectives: The incidence of endometrial cancer is constantly growing. More aggressive types of endometrial cancer as well as the incidence in younger women is being observed. More than 80% of cases is diagnosed in early stages due to early symptoms like abnormal bleeding. The remaining 20% of asymptomatic cases of endometrial cancer as well as the cases of false negative histopathological diagnoses are mostly the incidences of serous endometrial cancer and are a true diagnostic and therapeutic challenge. This was the reason of our study in which we proposed investigation of HE4 levels as a complementary diagnostic method in management and diagnosing of EC.

Material and methods: Serum HE4 level was measured in 92 patients with abnormal vaginal bleeding. Based on histhology after curretage the study group was divided into the benign and malignant endometrial pathology groups. Statistical analysis was performed using Mann-Whitney test

Results: The difference of serum HE4 level between benign endometrial pathology and cancer was significant (p = 0.000) and the cut-off for identification of patients with endometrial cancer was 58.08 pmol/l. There was a significant difference between G2 and G3 endometrial cancer, and G1 and G3. (p = 0,4 and p = 0,008 respectively) Patients who needed lymphadenectomy had significantly higher HE4 level than those who had no indications for this procedure (p = 0,001).

Conclusions: HE4 is a useful biomarker in diagnosing endometrial cancer. HE4 is associated with high grade endometrial cancer. It can also serve as an useful preoperative counseling tool to identify patients, who may require pelvic and paraaortic lymphadenectomy.

Get Citation

Keywords

endometrial cancer; endometrial hyperotrophy

About this article
Title

The role of HE4 in differentiating benign and malignant endometrial pathology

Journal

Ginekologia Polska

Issue

Vol 87, No 4 (2016)

Pages

260-264

Published online

2016-05-23

DOI

10.17772/gp/62356

Pubmed

27321096

Bibliographic record

Ginekol Pol 2016;87(4):260-264.

Keywords

endometrial cancer
endometrial hyperotrophy

Authors

Emilia Gąsiorowska
Magdalena Magnowska
Natalia Iżycka
Wojciech Warchoł
Ewa Nowak-Markwitz

Important: This website uses cookies. More >>

The cookies allow us to identify your computer and find out details about your last visit. They remembering whether you've visited the site before, so that you remain logged in - or to help us work out how many new website visitors we get each month. Most internet browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can change the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance if you prefer.

By "Via Medica sp. z o.o." sp.k., ul. Świętokrzyska 73, 80–180 Gdańsk
tel.:+48 58 320 94 94, faks:+48 58 320 94 60, e-mail:  viamedica@viamedica.pl