open access

Vol 64, No 2 (2005)
ORIGINAL ARTICLES
Published online: 2005-03-03
Submitted: 2012-02-06
Get Citation

Anatomical variations of the superficial and deep palmar arches

M Loukas, D Holdman, S Holdman
Folia Morphol 2005;64(2):78-83.

open access

Vol 64, No 2 (2005)
ORIGINAL ARTICLES
Published online: 2005-03-03
Submitted: 2012-02-06

Abstract

The use of radial arteries as an arterial bypass conduit is an invasive procedure which is becoming popular among various medical centres. The greatest risk associated with harvesting the radial artery is ischaemia of the soft tissues of the hand. In this study we dissected 200 hands derived from 100 formalin-fixed cadavers in order to identify arterial patterns that will allow safe removal of the radial artery for use in bypass procedures. A complete superficial palmar arch (SPA) was found in 90% of the cases and divided into 5 types, while the remaining 10% possessed an incomplete palmar arch. Types of SPA are designated by the letter S. In type S-I (40%), the SPA is formed by anastomosis of the superficial volar branch of the radial artery to the ulnar artery. Type S-II (35%) is formed entirely of the ulnar artery. Type S-III (15%) is formed by anastomosis of the ulnar and median arteries. Type S-IV (6%) is formed by anastomosis of the ulnar, radial, and median arteries and Type S-V (4%) is formed by a branch of the deep palmar arch (DPA) communicating with the SPA.DPA was identified in all specimens and classified into three types, all designated by the letter D. Type D-I (60%) is formed by anastomosis of the deep volar branch of the radial artery and the inferior deep branch of the ulnar branch. Type D-II (30%) is formed by anastomosis of the deep volar branch of the radial artery and the superior deep branch of the ulnar artery. Type D-III (10%) is formed by anastomosis of the deep volar branch of the radial artery with both deep branches of the ulnar artery. This data could provide an important source of information for vascular surgeons harvesting radial arteries.

Abstract

The use of radial arteries as an arterial bypass conduit is an invasive procedure which is becoming popular among various medical centres. The greatest risk associated with harvesting the radial artery is ischaemia of the soft tissues of the hand. In this study we dissected 200 hands derived from 100 formalin-fixed cadavers in order to identify arterial patterns that will allow safe removal of the radial artery for use in bypass procedures. A complete superficial palmar arch (SPA) was found in 90% of the cases and divided into 5 types, while the remaining 10% possessed an incomplete palmar arch. Types of SPA are designated by the letter S. In type S-I (40%), the SPA is formed by anastomosis of the superficial volar branch of the radial artery to the ulnar artery. Type S-II (35%) is formed entirely of the ulnar artery. Type S-III (15%) is formed by anastomosis of the ulnar and median arteries. Type S-IV (6%) is formed by anastomosis of the ulnar, radial, and median arteries and Type S-V (4%) is formed by a branch of the deep palmar arch (DPA) communicating with the SPA.DPA was identified in all specimens and classified into three types, all designated by the letter D. Type D-I (60%) is formed by anastomosis of the deep volar branch of the radial artery and the inferior deep branch of the ulnar branch. Type D-II (30%) is formed by anastomosis of the deep volar branch of the radial artery and the superior deep branch of the ulnar artery. Type D-III (10%) is formed by anastomosis of the deep volar branch of the radial artery with both deep branches of the ulnar artery. This data could provide an important source of information for vascular surgeons harvesting radial arteries.
Get Citation

Keywords

deep palmar arch; superficial palmar arch; cardiac surgery; vascular surgery; radial artery; ulnar artery

About this article
Title

Anatomical variations of the superficial and deep palmar arches

Journal

Folia Morphologica

Issue

Vol 64, No 2 (2005)

Pages

78-83

Published online

2005-03-03

Bibliographic record

Folia Morphol 2005;64(2):78-83.

Keywords

deep palmar arch
superficial palmar arch
cardiac surgery
vascular surgery
radial artery
ulnar artery

Authors

M Loukas
D Holdman
S Holdman

Important: This website uses cookies. More >>

The cookies allow us to identify your computer and find out details about your last visit. They remembering whether you've visited the site before, so that you remain logged in - or to help us work out how many new website visitors we get each month. Most internet browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can change the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance if you prefer.

By  "Via Medica sp. z o.o." sp.k., Świętokrzyska 73, 80–180 Gdańsk, Poland

tel.:+48 58 320 94 94, faks:+48 58 320 94 60, e-mail:  viamedica@viamedica.pl