open access

Vol 14, No 2 (2019)
Original Papers
Published online: 2019-05-22
Get Citation

Characteristics of patients with acute peripheral arterial ischaemia — a single centre retrospective study

Mariusz Kozak, Piotr Myrcha, Dawid Siemieniuk, Sonia Kardzis, Piotr Ciostek
DOI: 10.5603/FC.2019.0018
·
Folia Cardiologica 2019;14(2):142-149.

open access

Vol 14, No 2 (2019)
Original Papers
Published online: 2019-05-22

Abstract

Introduction. Acute peripheral arterial occlusion is a serious medical condition that requires an immediate action. De- lays in diagnosis or treatment could lead to death or serious disability. The appropriate and early clinical evaluation of acute ischaemia is crucial. The goal of therapy for both acute embolic and thrombotic occlusion is reperfusion of the ischaemic organ. 

Materials and methods. The aim of this study was a retrospective analysis of the demographic and epidemiological data of patients admitted to Surgical Department of Mazovian Brodnowski Hospital in Warsaw from 2014 to 2018 due to displaying symptoms of acute peripheral arterial ischaemia. 208 patients were evaluated. Our analysis included anthro- pometric parameters, history of cardiovascular and other important chronic diseases, and addictions. The aetiology, localisation, and type of primary surgery were also assessed. 

Results. The analysed group contained 112 men (53.8%, average age: 67.9 years) and 96 women (46.2%, average age: 76.4). We find a statistically significant correlation was found between epidemiological factors [i.e. age, hypertension, atrial fibrillation (AF), peripheral artery disease, myocardial infarction, and smoking] and gender. Embolic ischaemia occurred in 50.5% of cases. Thrombosis was diagnosed in the remaining 49.5%. Lower extremity ischaemia occurred most frequently (81.3%). Open embolectomy/thrombectomy was the primary surgery in 155 cases. We find significance of the aetiology in relation to the type of intervention and to the ischaemia localisation, but there was no significance in terms of mortality. The presence of ischaemic heart disease, atherosclerosis and tobacco smoking were relevant factors affecting the aetiology of acute ischaemia. 

Conclusion. Acute arterial ischaemia can occur regardless of gender. Embolic and thrombotic aetiologies occur with a very similar frequencies. Upper extremity arterial thrombosis occurs very rarely. An embolism is more often respon- sible for acute intestinal ischaemia. In patients with atherosclerosis and a history of previous vascular surgery, the presence of a vascular graft/stent graft is associated with a higher risk of arterial thrombosis. Among patients with AF and who were receiving vitamin K antagonists, the average level of international normalized ratio was non-therapeutic. 

Abstract

Introduction. Acute peripheral arterial occlusion is a serious medical condition that requires an immediate action. De- lays in diagnosis or treatment could lead to death or serious disability. The appropriate and early clinical evaluation of acute ischaemia is crucial. The goal of therapy for both acute embolic and thrombotic occlusion is reperfusion of the ischaemic organ. 

Materials and methods. The aim of this study was a retrospective analysis of the demographic and epidemiological data of patients admitted to Surgical Department of Mazovian Brodnowski Hospital in Warsaw from 2014 to 2018 due to displaying symptoms of acute peripheral arterial ischaemia. 208 patients were evaluated. Our analysis included anthro- pometric parameters, history of cardiovascular and other important chronic diseases, and addictions. The aetiology, localisation, and type of primary surgery were also assessed. 

Results. The analysed group contained 112 men (53.8%, average age: 67.9 years) and 96 women (46.2%, average age: 76.4). We find a statistically significant correlation was found between epidemiological factors [i.e. age, hypertension, atrial fibrillation (AF), peripheral artery disease, myocardial infarction, and smoking] and gender. Embolic ischaemia occurred in 50.5% of cases. Thrombosis was diagnosed in the remaining 49.5%. Lower extremity ischaemia occurred most frequently (81.3%). Open embolectomy/thrombectomy was the primary surgery in 155 cases. We find significance of the aetiology in relation to the type of intervention and to the ischaemia localisation, but there was no significance in terms of mortality. The presence of ischaemic heart disease, atherosclerosis and tobacco smoking were relevant factors affecting the aetiology of acute ischaemia. 

Conclusion. Acute arterial ischaemia can occur regardless of gender. Embolic and thrombotic aetiologies occur with a very similar frequencies. Upper extremity arterial thrombosis occurs very rarely. An embolism is more often respon- sible for acute intestinal ischaemia. In patients with atherosclerosis and a history of previous vascular surgery, the presence of a vascular graft/stent graft is associated with a higher risk of arterial thrombosis. Among patients with AF and who were receiving vitamin K antagonists, the average level of international normalized ratio was non-therapeutic. 

Get Citation

Keywords

atherosclerosis; acute ischaemia; embolus; thrombosis; peripheral artery disease; atrial fibrillation

About this article
Title

Characteristics of patients with acute peripheral arterial ischaemia — a single centre retrospective study

Journal

Folia Cardiologica

Issue

Vol 14, No 2 (2019)

Pages

142-149

Published online

2019-05-22

DOI

10.5603/FC.2019.0018

Bibliographic record

Folia Cardiologica 2019;14(2):142-149.

Keywords

atherosclerosis
acute ischaemia
embolus
thrombosis
peripheral artery disease
atrial fibrillation

Authors

Mariusz Kozak
Piotr Myrcha
Dawid Siemieniuk
Sonia Kardzis
Piotr Ciostek

References (19)
  1. O'Connell JB, Quiñones-Baldrich WJ. Proper evaluation and management of acute embolic versus thrombotic limb ischemia. Semin Vasc Surg. 2009; 22(1): 10–16.
  2. Lyaker MR, Tulman DB, Dimitrova GT, et al. Arterial embolism. Int J Crit Illn Inj Sci. 2013; 3(1): 77–87.
  3. Dag O, Kaygın MA, Erkut B. Analysis of risk factors for amputation in 822 cases with acute arterial emboli. ScientificWorldJournal. 2012; 2012: 673483.
  4. Menke J, Lüthje L, Kastrup A, et al. Thromboembolism in atrial fibrillation. Am J Cardiol. 2010; 105(4): 502–510.
  5. McNally MM, Univers J. Acute Limb Ischemia. Surg Clin North Am. 2018; 98(5): 1081–1096.
  6. Dormandy J, Heeck L, Vig S. Acute limb ischemia. Semin Vasc Surg. 1999; 12(2): 148–153.
  7. Klonaris C, Georgopoulos S, Katsargyris A, et al. Changing patterns in the etiology of acute lower limb ischemia. Int Angiol. 2007; 26(1): 49–52.
  8. Hemingway J, Emanuels D, Aarabi S, et al. Safety of transfer, type of procedure, and factors predictive of limb salvage in a modern series of acute limb ischemia. J Vasc Surg. 2019; 69(4): 1174–1179.
  9. Genovese EA, Chaer RA, Taha AG, et al. Risk Factors for Long-Term Mortality and Amputation after Open and Endovascular Treatment of Acute Limb Ischemia. Ann Vasc Surg. 2016; 30: 82–92.
  10. de Vinuesa SG, et al. Subclinical peripheral arterial disease in patients with chronic kidney disease: prevalence and related risk factors. Kidney Int Suppl. 2005(93): S44–S47.
  11. Johner F, Thalhammer C, Jacomella V, et al. Differences in cardiovascular risk factors between patients with acute limb ischemia and intermittent claudication. Angiology. 2014; 65(6): 497–500.
  12. Mercado C, Jaimes E. Cigarette smoking as a risk factor for atherosclerosis and renal disease: Novel pathogenic insights. Current Hypertension Reports. 2007; 9(1): 66–72.
  13. January C, Wann L, Calkins H, et al. 2019 AHA/ACC/HRS Focused Update of the 2014 AHA/ACC/HRS Guideline for the Management of Patients With Atrial Fibrillation. Heart Rhythm. 2019.
  14. Joshi V, Harding G, Bottoni D, et al. Determination of Functional Outcome Following Upper Extremity Arterial Trauma. Vascular and Endovascular Surgery. 2016; 41(2): 111–114.
  15. Eyers P, Earnshaw JJ. Acute non-traumatic arm ischaemia. Br J Surg. 1998; 85(10): 1340–1346.
  16. Stonebridge PA, Clason AE, Duncan AJ, et al. Acute ischaemia of the upper limb compared with acute lower limb ischaemia; a 5-year review. Br J Surg. 1989; 76(5): 515–516.
  17. Schermerhorn ML, et al. Mesenteric revascularization: management and outcomes in the United States, 1988-2006. J Vasc Surg. 2009; 50(2): 341–348.
  18. Lock G. Acute intestinal ischaemia. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2001; 15(1): 83–98.
  19. Martelli E, Ippoliti A, Ventoruzzo G, et al. Popliteal artery aneurysms. Factors associated with thromboembolism and graft failure. Int Angiol. 2004; 23(1): 54–65.

Important: This website uses cookies. More >>

The cookies allow us to identify your computer and find out details about your last visit. They remembering whether you've visited the site before, so that you remain logged in - or to help us work out how many new website visitors we get each month. Most internet browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can change the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance if you prefer.

 

Wydawcą serwisu jest  "Via Medica sp. z o.o." sp.k., ul. Świętokrzyska 73, 80–180 Gdańsk

tel.:+48 58 320 94 94, faks:+48 58 320 94 60, e-mail:  viamedica@viamedica.pl