dostęp otwarty

Tom 2, Nr 1 (2017)
Artykuły oryginalne
Opublikowany online: 2017-08-25
Pobierz cytowanie

Typical medullary breast carcinoma: clinical outcomes and treatment results

Andrzej Stelmach, Janusz Ryś, Jerzy W. Mituś, Anna Patla, Piotr Skotnicki, Marian Reinfuss, Elżbieta Pluta, Tomasz Walasek, Beata Sas-Korczyńska
Biuletyn Polskiego Towarzystwa Onkologicznego Nowotwory 2017;2(1):7-13.

dostęp otwarty

Tom 2, Nr 1 (2017)
Artykuły oryginalne
Opublikowany online: 2017-08-25

Streszczenie

Typical medullary breast carcinoma (T-MBC) accounts for less than 1% of all malignant breast neoplasms, and immu­nohistochemically is characteristic of “triple-negative” breast carcinoma. The purpose of this study was to describe the clinical characteristics and treatment results for patients with T-MBC treated at a single institution, and discuss the controversial aspects of this very rare form of breast cancer. Analyses was performed in 120 patients with T-MBC who were treated between 1970 and 2005. These cases represent 1.1% of all (11 270) patients treated for breast cancer during this period. According to TNM classification, 26 patients (21.6%) were in stage I, 80 patients (66.7%) in stage II and 14 (11.7%) in stage III of clinically advanced breast cancer. Involved axillary lymph nodes occurred in just 10 (8.3%) of the patients, and in all cases metastases were observed in 1–3 lymph nodes. All the patients un­derwent primary surgery. Radical mastectomies were performed on 98 (81.6%) patients, while the other 22 (18.4%) underwent breast-conserving surgery (BCS). Radiotherapy was performed in 36 patients (22 after BCS and 14 after mastectomy). Patients with nodal involvement (10 patients) received adjuvant chemotherapy, and 8 patients with hormone receptor expression received hormonotherapy with tamoxifen. The 10-year DFS rate was 90%. Out of 120 patients with T-MBC, only 4 (3.3%) died from this cancer. We showed that none of the population, neither clinical nor microscopic, had a statistically significant influence on the 10-year disease-free survival rate. Our results are similar to others presented in literature.

Streszczenie

Typical medullary breast carcinoma (T-MBC) accounts for less than 1% of all malignant breast neoplasms, and immu­nohistochemically is characteristic of “triple-negative” breast carcinoma. The purpose of this study was to describe the clinical characteristics and treatment results for patients with T-MBC treated at a single institution, and discuss the controversial aspects of this very rare form of breast cancer. Analyses was performed in 120 patients with T-MBC who were treated between 1970 and 2005. These cases represent 1.1% of all (11 270) patients treated for breast cancer during this period. According to TNM classification, 26 patients (21.6%) were in stage I, 80 patients (66.7%) in stage II and 14 (11.7%) in stage III of clinically advanced breast cancer. Involved axillary lymph nodes occurred in just 10 (8.3%) of the patients, and in all cases metastases were observed in 1–3 lymph nodes. All the patients un­derwent primary surgery. Radical mastectomies were performed on 98 (81.6%) patients, while the other 22 (18.4%) underwent breast-conserving surgery (BCS). Radiotherapy was performed in 36 patients (22 after BCS and 14 after mastectomy). Patients with nodal involvement (10 patients) received adjuvant chemotherapy, and 8 patients with hormone receptor expression received hormonotherapy with tamoxifen. The 10-year DFS rate was 90%. Out of 120 patients with T-MBC, only 4 (3.3%) died from this cancer. We showed that none of the population, neither clinical nor microscopic, had a statistically significant influence on the 10-year disease-free survival rate. Our results are similar to others presented in literature.

Pobierz cytowanie
Informacje o artykule
Tytuł

Typical medullary breast carcinoma: clinical outcomes and treatment results

Czasopismo

Biuletyn Polskiego Towarzystwa Onkologicznego Nowotwory

Numer

Tom 2, Nr 1 (2017)

Strony

7-13

Data publikacji on-line

2017-08-25

Rekord bibliograficzny

Biuletyn Polskiego Towarzystwa Onkologicznego Nowotwory 2017;2(1):7-13.

Autorzy

Andrzej Stelmach
Janusz Ryś
Jerzy W. Mituś
Anna Patla
Piotr Skotnicki
Marian Reinfuss
Elżbieta Pluta
Tomasz Walasek
Beata Sas-Korczyńska

Ważne: serwis https://journals.viamedica.pl/ wykorzystuje pliki cookies. Więcej >>

Używamy informacji zapisanych za pomocą plików cookies m.in. w celach statystycznych, dostosowania serwisu do potrzeb użytkownika (np. język interfejsu) i do obsługi logowania użytkowników. W ustawieniach przeglądarki internetowej można zmienić opcje dotyczące cookies. Korzystanie z serwisu bez zmiany ustawień dotyczących cookies oznacza, że będą one zapisane w pamięci komputera. Więcej informacji można znaleźć w naszej Polityce prywatności.

Czym są i do czego służą pliki cookie możesz dowiedzieć się na stronie wszystkoociasteczkach.pl.

Wydawcą serwisu jest VM Media sp. z o.o. VM Group sp.k., ul. Świętokrzyska 73, 80–180 Gdańsk
tel.:+48 58 320 94 94, e-mail: viamedica@viamedica.pl