open access

Vol 8, No 1 (2002)
Original papers
Published online: 2002-02-07
Get Citation

Carotid endarterectomy in patients with contralateral internal carotid artery occlusion

Jerzy Leszczyński, Andrzej Krzysztof Małek, Sadegh Toutounchi, Waldemar Macioch, Mieczysław Szostek
Acta Angiologica 2002;8(1):7-13.

open access

Vol 8, No 1 (2002)
Original papers
Published online: 2002-02-07

Abstract

Introduction. Carotid artery occlusion is the cause of death or disabling cerebral symptoms in 1/3 of patients. The aim of the study was to analyse the perioperative results of carotid endarterectomy (CEA) depending on the patency of the contralateral internal carotid artery (ICA).
Material and methods. Four hundred and twenty-two CEA were performed in 390 patients between 1990–1998. Sixty-five (16.7%) patients had contralateral ICA occlusion (group I). The rest, 325 patients (83.3%), had patent contralateral ICA - group II. We operated on mainly severe (> 70%) ICA stenoses (94.8%). The preoperative risk factors were similar in both groups. Preoperative severe stroke on the operated ICA side was significantly more often observed in group I (p = 0.01). Standard CEA with direct arterial suture was performed in all cases.
Results. Preoperative computed tomography (CT) scan revealed more often ischaemic focus on the operated side in group I (p < 0.001). Intraoperative shunt was significantly more often used in patients with contralateral ICA occlusion (p < 0.001). The perioperative stroke from the operated side was observed in 3% patients from group I and in 3.1% from group II. Contralateral stroke occurred in 1.5% from group I, and 0.56% from group II. Mortality rate was respectively 1.5% for group I, and 1.3% for group II (p = NS).
Conclusions. Risk of preoperative stroke and mortality rate were not higher for patients with contralateral ICA occlusion. Intraoperative shunt was significantly more often used in patients with contralateral ICA occlusion.

Abstract

Introduction. Carotid artery occlusion is the cause of death or disabling cerebral symptoms in 1/3 of patients. The aim of the study was to analyse the perioperative results of carotid endarterectomy (CEA) depending on the patency of the contralateral internal carotid artery (ICA).
Material and methods. Four hundred and twenty-two CEA were performed in 390 patients between 1990–1998. Sixty-five (16.7%) patients had contralateral ICA occlusion (group I). The rest, 325 patients (83.3%), had patent contralateral ICA - group II. We operated on mainly severe (> 70%) ICA stenoses (94.8%). The preoperative risk factors were similar in both groups. Preoperative severe stroke on the operated ICA side was significantly more often observed in group I (p = 0.01). Standard CEA with direct arterial suture was performed in all cases.
Results. Preoperative computed tomography (CT) scan revealed more often ischaemic focus on the operated side in group I (p < 0.001). Intraoperative shunt was significantly more often used in patients with contralateral ICA occlusion (p < 0.001). The perioperative stroke from the operated side was observed in 3% patients from group I and in 3.1% from group II. Contralateral stroke occurred in 1.5% from group I, and 0.56% from group II. Mortality rate was respectively 1.5% for group I, and 1.3% for group II (p = NS).
Conclusions. Risk of preoperative stroke and mortality rate were not higher for patients with contralateral ICA occlusion. Intraoperative shunt was significantly more often used in patients with contralateral ICA occlusion.
Get Citation

Keywords

internal carotid artery; carotid endarterectomy; internal carotid artery occlusion

About this article
Title

Carotid endarterectomy in patients with contralateral internal carotid artery occlusion

Journal

Acta Angiologica

Issue

Vol 8, No 1 (2002)

Pages

7-13

Published online

2002-02-07

Bibliographic record

Acta Angiologica 2002;8(1):7-13.

Keywords

internal carotid artery
carotid endarterectomy
internal carotid artery occlusion

Authors

Jerzy Leszczyński
Andrzej Krzysztof Małek
Sadegh Toutounchi
Waldemar Macioch
Mieczysław Szostek

Important: This website uses cookies.tanya dokter More >>

The cookies allow us to identify your computer and find out details about your last visit. They remembering whether you've visited the site before, so that you remain logged in - or to help us work out how many new website visitors we get each month. Most internet browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can change the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance if you prefer.

By "Via Medica sp. z o.o." sp.k., ul. Świętokrzyska 73, 80–180 Gdańsk

tel.:+48 58 320 94 94, faks:+48 58 320 94 60, e-mail: viamedica@viamedica.pl