open access

Vol 16, No 2 (2013)
Original articles
Published online: 2013-08-01
Submitted: 2013-08-13
Accepted: 2013-08-13
Get Citation

18F-FDGPET/CT: diabetes and hyperglycaemia

Artor Niccoli-Asabella, Francesca Iuele Iuele, Nunzio Merenda, Antonio Rosario Pisani, Antonio Notaristefano, Giuseppe Rubini
DOI: 10.5603/NMR.2013.0035
·
Nucl. Med. Rev 2013;16(2):57-61.

open access

Vol 16, No 2 (2013)
Original articles
Published online: 2013-08-01
Submitted: 2013-08-13
Accepted: 2013-08-13

Abstract

BACKGROUND: Some patients who undergo 18F-FDG PET/CTfor neoplastic or benign disease are also affected by diabetes orhyperglycaemia. We propose different preparation procedures inpatients (pts) with hyperglycaemia (acute, temporary or chronic)or diabetes (type 1 or 2) at the time of the 18F-FDG injection, inorder to improve the diagnostic scheduling of 18F-FDG PET/CT.

MATERIAL AND METHODS: We evaluated a sample of 13,063pts, examined in two different PET/CT centres, one with a stationaryscanner (94.4%) and the other with a mobile device (5.6%). High blood sugar was present in 1,698 patients (13%) at thetime of the 18F-FDG injection (hyperglycaemia was defined asfasting blood glucose > 11.1 mmol/l). We considered all 18F-FDG PET/CT tests performed over a periodof 4 years (2006–2009). In the first 2 years (6,236 tests), scheduling was done directly by the administrative secretary. In the next two years, 6,827 pts underwent a preliminary visitto assess the test indications, medical history, and therapy aswell as pre-test preparation. We evaluated different preparation protocols for hyperglycaemicor diabetic pts, especially those recommended in the guidelinesof the European Association of Nuclear Medicine (EANM) and Society of Nuclear Medicine (SNM).

RESULTS: In the four-year period, 713/13,063 patients (5.45%)were rescheduled; of these, 78.8% were rescheduled in the twoyears before the implementation of our preparation protocolsand 21.2% in the next two years.Before the implementation of our preparation protocols, 562 patients (9%) presented occasional, acute or chronic hyperglycaemia (56.7%), or diabetes (43.3%), requiring postponement of the test to a later date. The test was not performed in 17 of 6,236 pts (0.27%) because of blood glucose levels above 11.1 mmol/l for several days, while in 16/6236 pts (0.26%) the18F-FDG injection was performed despite high blood glucoselevels, in view of the clinical urgency.After the implementation of the preparation protocols, 2.2% ofpts were rescheduled because of occasional, acute or chronic hyperglycaemia (79%), or diabetes (21%); 0.1% of pts did notundergo the test because of chronic high blood glucose levels. Although the administration of insulin is recommended in theEANM and SNM guidelines, in our new preparation proceduresexperience it was not necessary, because we reduced the numbers of hyperglycaemic pts thanks to screening at the preliminary visit and a subsequent good preparation of the patientbefore scheduling.

CONCLUSIONS: The application of our preparation protocolsimproves the on-time performance and diagnostic accuracy,and increases patients’ compliance.

Abstract

BACKGROUND: Some patients who undergo 18F-FDG PET/CTfor neoplastic or benign disease are also affected by diabetes orhyperglycaemia. We propose different preparation procedures inpatients (pts) with hyperglycaemia (acute, temporary or chronic)or diabetes (type 1 or 2) at the time of the 18F-FDG injection, inorder to improve the diagnostic scheduling of 18F-FDG PET/CT.

MATERIAL AND METHODS: We evaluated a sample of 13,063pts, examined in two different PET/CT centres, one with a stationaryscanner (94.4%) and the other with a mobile device (5.6%). High blood sugar was present in 1,698 patients (13%) at thetime of the 18F-FDG injection (hyperglycaemia was defined asfasting blood glucose > 11.1 mmol/l). We considered all 18F-FDG PET/CT tests performed over a periodof 4 years (2006–2009). In the first 2 years (6,236 tests), scheduling was done directly by the administrative secretary. In the next two years, 6,827 pts underwent a preliminary visitto assess the test indications, medical history, and therapy aswell as pre-test preparation. We evaluated different preparation protocols for hyperglycaemicor diabetic pts, especially those recommended in the guidelinesof the European Association of Nuclear Medicine (EANM) and Society of Nuclear Medicine (SNM).

RESULTS: In the four-year period, 713/13,063 patients (5.45%)were rescheduled; of these, 78.8% were rescheduled in the twoyears before the implementation of our preparation protocolsand 21.2% in the next two years.Before the implementation of our preparation protocols, 562 patients (9%) presented occasional, acute or chronic hyperglycaemia (56.7%), or diabetes (43.3%), requiring postponement of the test to a later date. The test was not performed in 17 of 6,236 pts (0.27%) because of blood glucose levels above 11.1 mmol/l for several days, while in 16/6236 pts (0.26%) the18F-FDG injection was performed despite high blood glucoselevels, in view of the clinical urgency.After the implementation of the preparation protocols, 2.2% ofpts were rescheduled because of occasional, acute or chronic hyperglycaemia (79%), or diabetes (21%); 0.1% of pts did notundergo the test because of chronic high blood glucose levels. Although the administration of insulin is recommended in theEANM and SNM guidelines, in our new preparation proceduresexperience it was not necessary, because we reduced the numbers of hyperglycaemic pts thanks to screening at the preliminary visit and a subsequent good preparation of the patientbefore scheduling.

CONCLUSIONS: The application of our preparation protocolsimproves the on-time performance and diagnostic accuracy,and increases patients’ compliance.

Get Citation

Keywords

hyperglycaemia, diabetes, 18F-FDG PET/CT, preparation protocols, EANM guidelines, SNM guidelines, insulin

About this article
Title

18F-FDGPET/CT: diabetes and hyperglycaemia

Journal

Nuclear Medicine Review

Issue

Vol 16, No 2 (2013)

Pages

57-61

Published online

2013-08-01

DOI

10.5603/NMR.2013.0035

Bibliographic record

Nucl. Med. Rev 2013;16(2):57-61.

Keywords

hyperglycaemia
diabetes
18F-FDG PET/CT
preparation protocols
EANM guidelines
SNM guidelines
insulin

Authors

Artor Niccoli-Asabella
Francesca Iuele Iuele
Nunzio Merenda
Antonio Rosario Pisani
Antonio Notaristefano
Giuseppe Rubini

Important: This website uses cookies. More >>

The cookies allow us to identify your computer and find out details about your last visit. They remembering whether you've visited the site before, so that you remain logged in - or to help us work out how many new website visitors we get each month. Most internet browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can change the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance if you prefer.

By "Via Medica sp. z o.o." sp.k., Świętokrzyska 73 street, 80–180 Gdańsk, Poland

tel.:+48 58 320 94 94, faks:+48 58 320 94 60, e-mail: viamedica@viamedica.pl