open access

Vol 68, No 5-6 (2018)
Research paper (original)
Get Citation

The characteristics of bilateral breast cancer patients

Beata Sas-Korczyńska, Wojciech Kamzol, Marta Kołodziej-Rzepa, Jerzy W. Mituś, Wojciech M. Wysocki
DOI: 10.5603/2018.0035
·
Nowotwory. Journal of Oncology 2018;68(5-6):221-226.

open access

Vol 68, No 5-6 (2018)
Original article

Abstract

Introduction. Bilateral breast cancer (BBC) consists of 2–12% all cases of breast carcinoma. In relation to time between the first and second cancer diagnosis, the synchronous (s-BBC) or metachronous (m-BBC) bilateral breast cancer is defined. Material and methods. The clinicopathologic characteristics of 303 patients treated between 1963 and 2014 for bilateral breast cancer was presented. Synchronous BBC was diagnosed in 70 patients (23.1%) and remaining 233 patients (76.9%) developed metachronous BBC. Patients with m-BBC in comparison to s-BBC were younger (mean age: 51.4 vs 60.6 years), the positive family cancer history was rare (36.7% vs 48.5%), and more frequently these patients were before menopause (65.7% vs 44.3%). While the lobular type of breast cancer which consisted of 6.6% cases in first breast and 8.9% cases of second carcinomas, more frequently was presented in s-BBC (8.6%) in comparison to m-BBC (6%). Results. The mean time of follow up was 174 months. The 5- and 10-year overall survival rates were 89.3% and 76.1%, respectively. The presence of s-BBC connected with worse prognosis; the 5- and 10-year overall survival were 93.1% and 82% for m-BBC and 76.4% and 52.1% for s-BBC (p = 0.00244, log-rank test).

Abstract

Introduction. Bilateral breast cancer (BBC) consists of 2–12% all cases of breast carcinoma. In relation to time between the first and second cancer diagnosis, the synchronous (s-BBC) or metachronous (m-BBC) bilateral breast cancer is defined. Material and methods. The clinicopathologic characteristics of 303 patients treated between 1963 and 2014 for bilateral breast cancer was presented. Synchronous BBC was diagnosed in 70 patients (23.1%) and remaining 233 patients (76.9%) developed metachronous BBC. Patients with m-BBC in comparison to s-BBC were younger (mean age: 51.4 vs 60.6 years), the positive family cancer history was rare (36.7% vs 48.5%), and more frequently these patients were before menopause (65.7% vs 44.3%). While the lobular type of breast cancer which consisted of 6.6% cases in first breast and 8.9% cases of second carcinomas, more frequently was presented in s-BBC (8.6%) in comparison to m-BBC (6%). Results. The mean time of follow up was 174 months. The 5- and 10-year overall survival rates were 89.3% and 76.1%, respectively. The presence of s-BBC connected with worse prognosis; the 5- and 10-year overall survival were 93.1% and 82% for m-BBC and 76.4% and 52.1% for s-BBC (p = 0.00244, log-rank test).

Get Citation

Keywords

breast cancer; bilateral breast cancer; synchronous carcinomas; metachronous carcinomas

About this article
Title

The characteristics of bilateral breast cancer patients

Journal

Nowotwory. Journal of Oncology

Issue

Vol 68, No 5-6 (2018)

Article type

Research paper (original)

Pages

221-226

DOI

10.5603/2018.0035

Bibliographic record

Nowotwory. Journal of Oncology 2018;68(5-6):221-226.

Keywords

breast cancer
bilateral breast cancer
synchronous carcinomas
metachronous carcinomas

Authors

Beata Sas-Korczyńska
Wojciech Kamzol
Marta Kołodziej-Rzepa
Jerzy W. Mituś
Wojciech M. Wysocki

Important: This website uses cookies. More >>

The cookies allow us to identify your computer and find out details about your last visit. They remembering whether you've visited the site before, so that you remain logged in - or to help us work out how many new website visitors we get each month. Most internet browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can change the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance if you prefer.

Wydawcą serwisu jest VM Media sp. z o.o. VM Group sp.k., ul. Świętokrzyska 73, 80–180 Gdańsk

tel.:+48 58 320 94 94, faks:+48 58 320 94 60, e-mail: viamedica@viamedica.pl