open access

Vol 79, No 2 (2020)
ORIGINAL ARTICLES
Published online: 2019-07-19
Submitted: 2019-04-23
Accepted: 2019-07-17
Get Citation

Root morphology of mandibular molars: a cone-beam computed tomography study

J. Abarca, M. Duran, D. Parra, K. Steinfort, C. Zaror, H. Monardes
DOI: 10.5603/FM.a2019.0084
·
Pubmed: 31322722
·
Folia Morphol 2020;79(2):327-332.

open access

Vol 79, No 2 (2020)
ORIGINAL ARTICLES
Published online: 2019-07-19
Submitted: 2019-04-23
Accepted: 2019-07-17

Abstract

Background: The aim of the study was to assess the number and anatomical classification of roots and root canals of first and second mandibular molars using cone-beam computed tomography (CBCT) in a Chilean population.

Materials and methods: This study evaluated the CBCT scans of 289 patients aged between 14 and 86 years, obtaining a sample of 1022 mandibular first and second molars. The number of roots and root canals was evaluated according to the anatomical classification proposed by Ahmed in 2016. Data were analysed using Pearson’s chi-squared test and ANOVA.

Results: Nine hundred fifty-one (93.05%) molars had two roots, while the remaining 71 (6.95%) molars had one root. The most frequent root and root canal morphologies found were: 2MM M2 D1 (29.65%),  2MM M2-1 D1 (22.3%) and 2MM M1 D1 (13.4%) (M — mesial, D — distal), with a total of 32 different anatomical distributions. C-shaped canals were present in 56 molars and were more frequently found in women than in men (7.1% vs. 3.88%; p = 0.024).

Conclusions: The analysis of internal anatomy using CBCT revealed a highly variable distribution of root canals. The most frequent morphology found in mandibular molars in a Chilean population was two roots and three canals.

Abstract

Background: The aim of the study was to assess the number and anatomical classification of roots and root canals of first and second mandibular molars using cone-beam computed tomography (CBCT) in a Chilean population.

Materials and methods: This study evaluated the CBCT scans of 289 patients aged between 14 and 86 years, obtaining a sample of 1022 mandibular first and second molars. The number of roots and root canals was evaluated according to the anatomical classification proposed by Ahmed in 2016. Data were analysed using Pearson’s chi-squared test and ANOVA.

Results: Nine hundred fifty-one (93.05%) molars had two roots, while the remaining 71 (6.95%) molars had one root. The most frequent root and root canal morphologies found were: 2MM M2 D1 (29.65%),  2MM M2-1 D1 (22.3%) and 2MM M1 D1 (13.4%) (M — mesial, D — distal), with a total of 32 different anatomical distributions. C-shaped canals were present in 56 molars and were more frequently found in women than in men (7.1% vs. 3.88%; p = 0.024).

Conclusions: The analysis of internal anatomy using CBCT revealed a highly variable distribution of root canals. The most frequent morphology found in mandibular molars in a Chilean population was two roots and three canals.

Get Citation

Keywords

root canal configuration, mandibular molar, C-shaped canal, cone-beam computed tomography, root anatomy

About this article
Title

Root morphology of mandibular molars: a cone-beam computed tomography study

Journal

Folia Morphologica

Issue

Vol 79, No 2 (2020)

Pages

327-332

Published online

2019-07-19

DOI

10.5603/FM.a2019.0084

Pubmed

31322722

Bibliographic record

Folia Morphol 2020;79(2):327-332.

Keywords

root canal configuration
mandibular molar
C-shaped canal
cone-beam computed tomography
root anatomy

Authors

J. Abarca
M. Duran
D. Parra
K. Steinfort
C. Zaror
H. Monardes

References (24)
  1. Ahmed HMA, Musale PK, El Shahawy OI, et al. A new system for classifying tooth, root and canal anomalies. Int Endod J. 2018; 51(4): 389–404.
  2. Ahmed HM, Dummer PM. Advantages and applications of a new system for classifying roots and canal systems in research and clinical practice. Eur Endod J. 2018; 3(1): 9–17.
  3. Ahmed HMA, Versiani MA, De-Deus G, et al. A new system for classifying root and root canal morphology. Int Endod J. 2017; 50(8): 761–770.
  4. Alfawaz H, Alqedairi A, Alkhayyal AK, et al. Prevalence of C-shaped canal system in mandibular first and second molars in a Saudi population assessed via cone beam computed tomography: a retrospective study. Clin Oral Investig. 2019; 23(1): 107–112.
  5. Caputo BV, Noro Filho GA, de Andrade Salgado DM, et al. Evaluation of the Root Canal Morphology of Molars by Using Cone-beam Computed Tomography in a Brazilian Population: Part I. J Endod. 2016; 42(11): 1604–1607.
  6. Celikten B, Tufenkci P, Aksoy U, et al. Cone beam CT evaluation of mandibular molar root canal morphology in a Turkish Cypriot population. Clin Oral Investig. 2016; 20(8): 2221–2226.
  7. de Pablo OV, Estevez R, Péix Sánchez M, et al. Root anatomy and canal configuration of the permanent mandibular first molar: a systematic review. J Endod. 2010; 36(12): 1919–1931.
  8. Domark JD, Hatton JF, Benison RP, et al. An ex vivo comparison of digital radiography and cone-beam and micro computed tomography in the detection of the number of canals in the mesiobuccal roots of maxillary molars. J Endod. 2013; 39(7): 901–905.
  9. Filpo-Perez C, Bramante CM, Villas-Boas MH, et al. Micro-computed tomographic analysis of the root canal morphology of the distal root of mandibular first molar. J Endod. 2015; 41(2): 231–236.
  10. Hartmann RC, Baldasso FER, Stürmer CP, et al. Clinically relevant dimensions of 3-rooted maxillary premolars obtained via high-resolution computed tomography. J Endod. 2013; 39(12): 1639–1645.
  11. Karabucak B, Bunes A, Chehoud C, et al. Prevalence of apical periodontitis in endodontically treated premolars and molars with untreated canal: a cone-beam computed tomography study. J Endod. 2016; 42(4): 538–541.
  12. Ladeira DB, Cruz AD, Freitas DQ, et al. Prevalence of C-shaped root canal in a Brazilian subpopulation: a cone-beam computed tomography analysis. Braz Oral Res. 2014; 28: 39–45.
  13. Ordinola-Zapata R, Bramante CM, Versiani MA, et al. Comparative accuracy of the Clearing Technique, CBCT and Micro-CT methods in studying the mesial root canal configuration of mandibular first molars. Int Endod J. 2017; 50(1): 90–96.
  14. Ramírez-Salomón M, Vega-Lizama E, Tiesler V, et al. The C-shaped canal molar: an Endodontic-Archaeological study of the relationships between Mayan pre-Hispanic and contemporary population of Yucatán. Int Endod J. 2014; 47(11): 1084–1089.
  15. Rocco PP, Morales CG, Moraga MV, et al. Composición genética de la población chilena: Distribución de polimorfismos de DNA mitocondrial en grupos originarios y en la población mixta de Santiago. Revista médica de Chile. 2002; 130(2): 125–131.
  16. Saber SEDM, Ahmed MHM, Obeid M, et al. Root and canal morphology of maxillary premolar teeth in an Egyptian subpopulation using two classification systems: a cone beam computed tomography study. Int Endod J. 2019; 52(3): 267–278.
  17. Setzer FC, Hinckley N, Kohli MR, et al. A survey of cone-beam computed tomographic use among endodontic practitioners in the united states. J Endod. 2017; 43(5): 699–704.
  18. Tomaszewska IM, Skinningsrud B, Jarzębska A, et al. Internal and external morphology of mandibular molars: An original micro-CT study and meta-analysis with review of implications for endodontic therapy. Clin Anat. 2018; 31(6): 797–811.
  19. Torres A, Jacobs R, Lambrechts P, et al. Characterization of mandibular molar root and canal morphology using cone beam computed tomography and its variability in Belgian and Chilean population samples. Imaging Sci Dent. 2015; 45(2): 95–101.
  20. Varrela J. Effect of 45,X/46,XX mosaicism on root morphology of mandibular premolars. J Dental Res. 2016; 71(9): 1604–1606.
  21. Versiani MA, Ordinola-Zapata R, Keleş A, et al. Middle mesial canals in mandibular first molars: A micro-CT study in different populations. Arch Oral Biol. 2016; 61: 130–137.
  22. Vertucci F. Root canal morphology and its relationship to endodontic procedures. Endodontic Topics. 2005; 10(1): 3–29.
  23. Wolf TG, Paqué F, Zeller M, et al. Root canal morphology and configuration of 118 mandibular first molars by means of micro-computed tomography: an ex vivo study. J Endod. 2016; 42(4): 610–614.
  24. Zhang R, Wang H, Tian YY, et al. Use of cone-beam computed tomography to evaluate root and canal morphology of mandibular molars in Chinese individuals. Int Endod J. 2011; 44(11): 990–999.

Important: This website uses cookies. More >>

The cookies allow us to identify your computer and find out details about your last visit. They remembering whether you've visited the site before, so that you remain logged in - or to help us work out how many new website visitors we get each month. Most internet browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can change the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance if you prefer.

By  "Via Medica sp. z o.o." sp.k., Świętokrzyska 73, 80–180 Gdańsk, Poland

tel.:+48 58 320 94 94, faks:+48 58 320 94 60, e-mail:  viamedica@viamedica.pl