open access

Vol 77, No 2 (2018)
ORIGINAL ARTICLES
Published online: 2017-11-06
Submitted: 2017-08-20
Accepted: 2017-10-05
Get Citation

The sphenopalatine foramen in man: anatomical, radiological and endoscopic study

E.A.A. El-Shaarawy, S.S. Hassan
DOI: 10.5603/FM.a2017.0104
·
Pubmed: 29131280
·
Folia Morphol 2018;77(2):345-355.

open access

Vol 77, No 2 (2018)
ORIGINAL ARTICLES
Published online: 2017-11-06
Submitted: 2017-08-20
Accepted: 2017-10-05

Abstract

Background: Epistaxis is a frequent problem otorhinolaryngologists faces of in their practice. The variations of the sphenopalatine foramen (SPF) and consequ­ently the artery may be one of the major sources of such bleeding. The present work aimed to localise the site of SPF and also to illustrate its different shapes, number and any other variation.

Materials and methods: In the current study, 20 adult skulls of both sexes with total 40 half skulls were used in addition to 20 heads of adult living subjects of both sexes aged between 30 and 60 years examined with multislice helical com­puted tomography with 3-dimensional reconstruction of SPF. Then, examination of another ten dried skulls with endoscope was performed.

Results: The number of the SPF is varied being single in nearly 80% and multiple in 20% of examined cases. The shape of the foramen also is varied; regular in 67.5% and irregular in 32.5% of all cases. The site of the foramen on the lateral nasal wall is placed in the superior meatus in most of examined skulls (62.5%) while in the rest (37.5%) they are found in the superior meatus and extending to the middle one.

Conclusions: There are variation of the number, shape and site of the SPF, and consequently of the branches of the sphenopalatine artery, and this may explain the surgical failure in management of severe epistaxis. The data obtained from the current work support the predication of more than one sphenopalatine ar­teries and gives ample knowledge on the endoscopic study of the lateral nasal wall and consequently the surgical treatment of severe epistaxis. (Folia Morphol 2018; 77, 2: 345–355)

Abstract

Background: Epistaxis is a frequent problem otorhinolaryngologists faces of in their practice. The variations of the sphenopalatine foramen (SPF) and consequ­ently the artery may be one of the major sources of such bleeding. The present work aimed to localise the site of SPF and also to illustrate its different shapes, number and any other variation.

Materials and methods: In the current study, 20 adult skulls of both sexes with total 40 half skulls were used in addition to 20 heads of adult living subjects of both sexes aged between 30 and 60 years examined with multislice helical com­puted tomography with 3-dimensional reconstruction of SPF. Then, examination of another ten dried skulls with endoscope was performed.

Results: The number of the SPF is varied being single in nearly 80% and multiple in 20% of examined cases. The shape of the foramen also is varied; regular in 67.5% and irregular in 32.5% of all cases. The site of the foramen on the lateral nasal wall is placed in the superior meatus in most of examined skulls (62.5%) while in the rest (37.5%) they are found in the superior meatus and extending to the middle one.

Conclusions: There are variation of the number, shape and site of the SPF, and consequently of the branches of the sphenopalatine artery, and this may explain the surgical failure in management of severe epistaxis. The data obtained from the current work support the predication of more than one sphenopalatine ar­teries and gives ample knowledge on the endoscopic study of the lateral nasal wall and consequently the surgical treatment of severe epistaxis. (Folia Morphol 2018; 77, 2: 345–355)

Get Citation

Keywords

sphenopalatine foramen site, sphenopalatine foramen number, sphenopalatine foramen radiology, sphenopalatine foramen endoscopy

About this article
Title

The sphenopalatine foramen in man: anatomical, radiological and endoscopic study

Journal

Folia Morphologica

Issue

Vol 77, No 2 (2018)

Pages

345-355

Published online

2017-11-06

DOI

10.5603/FM.a2017.0104

Pubmed

29131280

Bibliographic record

Folia Morphol 2018;77(2):345-355.

Keywords

sphenopalatine foramen site
sphenopalatine foramen number
sphenopalatine foramen radiology
sphenopalatine foramen endoscopy

Authors

E.A.A. El-Shaarawy
S.S. Hassan

References (26)
  1. Abuzayed, B., Tanriover, N., Gazioglu, N. . Extended endoscopic endonasal approach to the pterygopalatine fossa: anatomic study. J Neurosurg Sci. 2009; 53(2): 37–44.
  2. Alherabi A, Marglani O, Herzallah IR, et al. Endoscopic localization of the sphenopalatine foramen: do measurements matter? Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2014; 271(9): 2455–2460.
  3. Andrade GS, Felippu E, Neto A. Epistaxe grave. Tratado de Otorrinolaringologia, 1st. Ed. São Paulo: Roca. 2002: 209–215.
  4. Bagatella F. Vidian nerve surgery revisited. Laryngoscope. 1986; 96(2): 194–197.
  5. Bolger WE, Borgie RC, Melder P. The role of the crista ethmoidalis in endoscopic sphenopalatine artery ligation. Am J Rhinol. 1999; 13(2): 81–86.
  6. Campos CH, Filho LO. Hemorragia nasal. Tratado de Otorrinolaringologia, 2nd. Ed. São Paulo: Roca. 1994: 337–352.
  7. Enepekides DJ. Recent advances in the treatment of juvenile angiofibroma. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2004; 12(6): 495–499.
  8. Gras-Cabrerizo JR, Ademá-Alcover JM, Gras-Albert JR, et al. Anatomical and surgical study of the sphenopalatine artery branches. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2014; 271(7): 1947–1951.
  9. Gui P, Zhou S, Liang W, et al. [The study of microdissection of endoscopic transnasal surgery in the sphenopalatine foramen]. Lin Chuang Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi. 2004; 18(10): 606–608.
  10. Gui P, Zhou S, Liang W, et al. The clinical study of multi-slice helical CT three-dimensional reconstruction in the sphenopalatine foramen. Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi. 2005; 19(2): 60–62.
  11. Hadoura L, Douglas C, McGarry GW, et al. Mapping surgical coordinates of the sphenopalatine foramen: surgical navigation study. J Laryngol Otol. 2009; 123(7): 742–745.
  12. Herrera Tolosana S, Fernández Liesa R, Escolar Castellón Jd, et al. [Sphenopalatinum foramen: an anatomical study]. Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp. 2011; 62(4): 274–278.
  13. Lang J. Clinical anatomy of the nose, nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses. Thieme, New York 1989: 56–98.
  14. Lee HY, Kim HU, Kim SS, et al. Surgical anatomy of the sphenopalatine artery in lateral nasal wall. Laryngoscope. 2002; 112(10): 1813–1818.
  15. Li J, Xu X, Wang J, et al. Endoscopic study for the pterygopalatine fossa anatomy: via the middle nasal meatus-sphenopalatine foramen approach. J Craniofac Surg. 2009; 20(3): 944–947.
  16. Mata N, López-Cortijo C, García JR, et al. [The protocol of endoscopic sinus surgery: preliminary analysis of 100 cases]. Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp. 1994; 45(4): 249–253.
  17. Navarro JA, Toledo JL, Zorzetto NL. Anatomy of the maxillary artery into the pterygomaxillopalatine fossa. Anat Anz. 1982; 152(5): 413–433.
  18. Pádua FGM, Voegels RL. Severe posterior epistaxis-endoscopic surgical anatomy. Laryngoscope. 2008; 118(1): 156–161.
  19. Prades JM, Asanau A, Timoshenko AP, et al. Surgical anatomy of the sphenopalatine foramen and its arterial content. Surg Radiol Anat. 2008; 30(7): 583–587.
  20. Rezende GL, Soares VY, Moraes WC, et al. The sphenopalatine artery: a surgical challenge in epistaxis. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol. 2012; 78(4): 42–47.
  21. Ryce DH. Endoscopic sinus surgery. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 1993; 26: 613–618.
  22. Scanavini AB, Navarro JAC, Megale SR, et al. Morphometric evaluation of the sphenopalatine foramen for endonasal surgery. Rhinology. 2010; 48(4): 441–445.
  23. Scanavine AB, Navarro JA, Megale SR, et al. Anatomical study of the sphenopalatine foramen. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol. 2009; 75(1): 37–41.
  24. Schawartzbauer, H.R., Shete, M. and Tami, T. . Endoscopic anatomy of the sphenopalatine and posterior nasal arteries: implications for the endoscopic management of epistaxis. Am J Rhinol. 2003; 17: 63–6.
  25. Wareing MJ, Padgham ND. Osteologic classification of the sphenopalatine foramen. Laryngoscope. 1998; 108(1 Pt 1): 125–127.
  26. Wurman LH, Sack JG, Flannery JV. Selective endoscopic eletro-cautery for posterior epistaxis. Laryngoscope. 1988; 98: 1348–1349.

Important: This website uses cookies. More >>

The cookies allow us to identify your computer and find out details about your last visit. They remembering whether you've visited the site before, so that you remain logged in - or to help us work out how many new website visitors we get each month. Most internet browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can change the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance if you prefer.

By  "Via Medica sp. z o.o." sp.k., Świętokrzyska 73, 80–180 Gdańsk, Poland

tel.:+48 58 320 94 94, faks:+48 58 320 94 60, e-mail:  viamedica@viamedica.pl