open access

Vol 76, No 3 (2017)
ORIGINAL ARTICLES
Published online: 2017-01-13
Submitted: 2016-09-24
Accepted: 2016-12-18
Get Citation

Circle of Willis variations and artery diameter measurements in the Turkish population

I. Ö. Yeniçeri, N. Çullu, M. Deveer, E. N. Yeniçeri
DOI: 10.5603/FM.a2017.0004
·
Pubmed: 28150270
·
Folia Morphol 2017;76(3):420-425.

open access

Vol 76, No 3 (2017)
ORIGINAL ARTICLES
Published online: 2017-01-13
Submitted: 2016-09-24
Accepted: 2016-12-18

Abstract

Background: The aim of this study was to evaluate the frequency of circle of Willis (COW) variations and the measurements of the COW vessel diameters in the Turkish population.

Materials and methods: The patient population for this single-centre, retrospective study was formed of patients who had brain magnetic resonance angiography (MRA). A total of 384 subjects were included in the study. The three-dimensional time-of-flight (TOF) technique was used for MRA imaging to evaluate the anatomy of the COW. Variations in the COW were recorded. The diameters of the critical arteries of the COW were measured.

Results: Adult configuration of the COW was determined in 326 (85%) cases, foetal configuration in 50 (13%) cases and transitional configuration in 8 (2%) cases. The COW was normal in 328 (85.4%). In the remaining 56 (14.6%) cases, agenesis was determined in 62 vessels. The mean calibrations of the vessels were measured as 2.85 mm in the basilar artery, 4.24 mm in the right internal carotid artery (ICA), 4.32 mm in the left ICA, 1.58 mm in the right A1, 1.64 mm in the left A1, 2.13 mm in the right M1, 2.10 mm in the left M1, 1.80 mm in the right P1, 1.88 mm in the left P1, 1.12 mm in the right posterior communicating artery, and 1.12 mm in the left posterior communicating artery.

Conclusions: Circle of Willis variations may show geographic and ethnic differences. Knowledge of the frequency and types of variation in the population is important for neurosurgeons and in radiological interventional procedures as a guide for entry and in respect of collateral which could develop later

Abstract

Background: The aim of this study was to evaluate the frequency of circle of Willis (COW) variations and the measurements of the COW vessel diameters in the Turkish population.

Materials and methods: The patient population for this single-centre, retrospective study was formed of patients who had brain magnetic resonance angiography (MRA). A total of 384 subjects were included in the study. The three-dimensional time-of-flight (TOF) technique was used for MRA imaging to evaluate the anatomy of the COW. Variations in the COW were recorded. The diameters of the critical arteries of the COW were measured.

Results: Adult configuration of the COW was determined in 326 (85%) cases, foetal configuration in 50 (13%) cases and transitional configuration in 8 (2%) cases. The COW was normal in 328 (85.4%). In the remaining 56 (14.6%) cases, agenesis was determined in 62 vessels. The mean calibrations of the vessels were measured as 2.85 mm in the basilar artery, 4.24 mm in the right internal carotid artery (ICA), 4.32 mm in the left ICA, 1.58 mm in the right A1, 1.64 mm in the left A1, 2.13 mm in the right M1, 2.10 mm in the left M1, 1.80 mm in the right P1, 1.88 mm in the left P1, 1.12 mm in the right posterior communicating artery, and 1.12 mm in the left posterior communicating artery.

Conclusions: Circle of Willis variations may show geographic and ethnic differences. Knowledge of the frequency and types of variation in the population is important for neurosurgeons and in radiological interventional procedures as a guide for entry and in respect of collateral which could develop later

Get Citation

Keywords

circle of Willis, arterial diameter, variation, magnetic resonance angiography

About this article
Title

Circle of Willis variations and artery diameter measurements in the Turkish population

Journal

Folia Morphologica

Issue

Vol 76, No 3 (2017)

Pages

420-425

Published online

2017-01-13

DOI

10.5603/FM.a2017.0004

Pubmed

28150270

Bibliographic record

Folia Morphol 2017;76(3):420-425.

Keywords

circle of Willis
arterial diameter
variation
magnetic resonance angiography

Authors

I. Ö. Yeniçeri
N. Çullu
M. Deveer
E. N. Yeniçeri

References (10)
  1. El-Barhoun EN, Gledhill SR, Pitman AG. Circle of Willis artery diameters on MR angiography: an Australian reference database. J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2009; 53(3): 248–260.
  2. Ghazali RM, Shuaib IL. Comparison Between 3D TOF Magnetic Resonance Angiography and Intraarterial Digital Subtraction Angiography in Imaging the Circle of Willis. Malays J Med Sci. 2003; 10(1): 37–42.
  3. Gunnal SA, Farooqui MS, Wabale RN. Anatomical variations of the circulus arteriosus in cadaveric human brains. Neurol Res Int. 2014; 2014: 687281.
  4. Hoksbergen AWJ, Majoie CBL, Hulsmans FJH, et al. Assessment of the collateral function of the circle of Willis: three-dimensional time-of-flight MR angiography compared with transcranial color-coded duplex sonography. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2003; 24(3): 456–462.
  5. Karatas A, Coban G, Cinar C, et al. Assessment of the Circle of Willis with Cranial Tomography Angiography. Med Sci Monit. 2015; 21: 2647–2652.
  6. Kominami M, Yamada N, Imakita S, et al. [MR angiography of steno-occlusive lesions of intracranial arteries: a comparative study between turbo MRA and conventional MRA]. Nihon Igaku Hoshasen Gakkai Zasshi. 1999; 59(11): 504–509.
  7. Krabbe-Hartkamp MJ, van der Grond J, de Leeuw FE, et al. Circle of Willis: morphologic variation on three-dimensional time-of-flight MR angiograms. Radiology. 1998; 207(1): 103–111.
  8. Li Qi, Li J, Lv F, et al. A multidetector CT angiography study of variations in the circle of Willis in a Chinese population. J Clin Neurosci. 2011; 18(3): 379–383.
  9. Macchi C, Catini C, Federico C, et al. Magnetic resonance angiographic evaluation of circulus arteriosus cerebri (circle of Willis): a morphologic study in 100 human healthy subjects. Ital J Anat Embryol. 1996; 101(2): 115–123.
  10. Nolte J. The Human Brain. An Introduction to its Functional Anatomy. 5th edn. Mosby, St. Louis 2002.

Important: This website uses cookies. More >>

The cookies allow us to identify your computer and find out details about your last visit. They remembering whether you've visited the site before, so that you remain logged in - or to help us work out how many new website visitors we get each month. Most internet browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can change the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance if you prefer.

By  "Via Medica sp. z o.o." sp.k., Świętokrzyska 73, 80–180 Gdańsk, Poland

tel.:+48 58 320 94 94, faks:+48 58 320 94 60, e-mail:  viamedica@viamedica.pl