open access

Vol 72, No 2 (2013)
ORIGINAL ARTICLES
Published online: 2013-06-01
Submitted: 2013-06-03
Accepted: 2013-06-03
Get Citation

Anatomy and radiology of the variations of aortic arch branches in 1,266 patients

G. Vučurević, S. Marinković, L. Puškaš, I. Kovačević, S. Tanasković, D. Radak, A. Ilić
DOI: 10.5603/FM.2013.0019
·
Folia Morphol 2013;72(2):113-122.

open access

Vol 72, No 2 (2013)
ORIGINAL ARTICLES
Published online: 2013-06-01
Submitted: 2013-06-03
Accepted: 2013-06-03

Abstract

Background: The most reliable data about arterial variations, which are very important in surgery and radiology, can be obtained from a large series of patients.

Materials and methods: We examined angiographic and multislice computerised tomography (MSCT) images in a group of 1,265 patients and in 1 dissected specimen.

Results: While in 946 (74.72%) of the patients a normal vascular pattern (type I) was noticed, in the remaining 320 (25.28%) patients variations of the branchesof the aortic arch were found, which were classified into types II through VIII and a few subtypes. Type II (2.84%) comprised a common origin of the left commoncarotid and subclavian arteries. Type III (15.56%) was related to an origin of the left subclavian artery from the brachiocephalic trunk. Type IV (0.55%) includedthe aortic origin of both common carotid and subclavian arteries, with the rightsubclavian artery having a retroesophageal course. Type V (0.24%) included thesame 4 supra-aortic branches, which, however, arose from a double or a right--sided aortic arch. Type VI (3.63%) comprised the aortic origin of the left vertebralartery, type VII (0.24%) the same origin of the right vertebral artery, and type VIII(2.22%) the aortic origin of the thyroideaima artery. A corresponding embryological background and clinical implications of the described aberrant vessels were presented.

Conclusions: In more than one quarter of the cases, the branching pattern of the examined arteries did not follow the classical pattern. Detailed knowledge of aortic branch variations is of great significance in anatomy, embryology, andclinical medicine, especially in radiology and thoracic surgery.

Abstract

Background: The most reliable data about arterial variations, which are very important in surgery and radiology, can be obtained from a large series of patients.

Materials and methods: We examined angiographic and multislice computerised tomography (MSCT) images in a group of 1,265 patients and in 1 dissected specimen.

Results: While in 946 (74.72%) of the patients a normal vascular pattern (type I) was noticed, in the remaining 320 (25.28%) patients variations of the branchesof the aortic arch were found, which were classified into types II through VIII and a few subtypes. Type II (2.84%) comprised a common origin of the left commoncarotid and subclavian arteries. Type III (15.56%) was related to an origin of the left subclavian artery from the brachiocephalic trunk. Type IV (0.55%) includedthe aortic origin of both common carotid and subclavian arteries, with the rightsubclavian artery having a retroesophageal course. Type V (0.24%) included thesame 4 supra-aortic branches, which, however, arose from a double or a right--sided aortic arch. Type VI (3.63%) comprised the aortic origin of the left vertebralartery, type VII (0.24%) the same origin of the right vertebral artery, and type VIII(2.22%) the aortic origin of the thyroideaima artery. A corresponding embryological background and clinical implications of the described aberrant vessels were presented.

Conclusions: In more than one quarter of the cases, the branching pattern of the examined arteries did not follow the classical pattern. Detailed knowledge of aortic branch variations is of great significance in anatomy, embryology, andclinical medicine, especially in radiology and thoracic surgery.

Get Citation

Keywords

anatomical variations, aortic arch, neck arteries, radiology, thoracic arteries, thoracic surgery

About this article
Title

Anatomy and radiology of the variations of aortic arch branches in 1,266 patients

Journal

Folia Morphologica

Issue

Vol 72, No 2 (2013)

Pages

113-122

Published online

2013-06-01

DOI

10.5603/FM.2013.0019

Bibliographic record

Folia Morphol 2013;72(2):113-122.

Keywords

anatomical variations
aortic arch
neck arteries
radiology
thoracic arteries
thoracic surgery

Authors

G. Vučurević
S. Marinković
L. Puškaš
I. Kovačević
S. Tanasković
D. Radak
A. Ilić

Important: This website uses cookies. More >>

The cookies allow us to identify your computer and find out details about your last visit. They remembering whether you've visited the site before, so that you remain logged in - or to help us work out how many new website visitors we get each month. Most internet browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can change the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance if you prefer.

By  "Via Medica sp. z o.o." sp.k., Świętokrzyska 73, 80–180 Gdańsk, Poland

tel.:+48 58 320 94 94, faks:+48 58 320 94 60, e-mail:  viamedica@viamedica.pl