High flow oxygen therapy in intensive care and anaesthesiology
high flow oxygen therapy, oxygen therapy, respiratory failure; hypoxemic respiratory failure, high-flow nasal cannula
High flow oxygen therapy in intensive care and anaesthesiology
Anaesthesiol Intensive Ther 2019;51(1):41-50.
high flow oxygen therapy
hypoxemic respiratory failure
high-flow nasal cannula
- Wong SY, Hess DR. Oxygen therapy and airway management. In: Mosenifar Z, Soo Hoo GW. ed. Practical pulmonary and critical care medicine. Taylor & Francis Group, New York 2006: 1–31.
- Papazian L, Corley A, Hess D, et al. Use of high-flow nasal cannula oxygenation in ICU adults: a narrative review. Intensive Care Med. 2016; 42(9): 1336–1349.
- Frat JP, Coudroy R, Marjanovic N, et al. High-flow nasal oxygen therapy and noninvasive ventilation in the management of acute hypoxemic respiratory failure. Ann Transl Med. 2017; 5(14): 297.
- Drake MG. High-flow nasal cannula oxygen in adults: an evidence-based assessment. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2018; 15(2): 145–155.
- Sim MAB, Dean P, Kinsella J, et al. Performance of oxygen delivery devices when the breathing pattern of respiratory failure is simulated. Anaesthesia. 2008; 63(9): 938–940.
- Ward JJ. High-flow oxygen administration by nasal cannula for adult and perinatal patients. Respir Care. 2013; 58(1): 98–122.
- Helviz Y, Einav SA. A systemic review of the high-flow nasal cannula for theadult patients. In: Vincent JL, Einav SA. ed. Annual update in intensive care and emergency medicine. Springer Int. Publishing AG 2018 : 177–192.
- Nishimura M. High-Flow Nasal Cannula Oxygen Therapy in Adults: Physiological Benefits, Indication, Clinical Benefits, and Adverse Effects. Respir Care. 2016; 61(4): 529–541.
- Cortegiani A, Accurso G, Mercadante S, et al. High flow nasal therapy in perioperative medicine: from operating room to general ward. BMC Anesthesiol. 2018; 18(1): 166.
- Ricard JD. High flow nasal oxygen in acute respiratory failure. Minerva Anestesiol. 2012; 78: 836–41.
- Mikalsen IB, Davis P, Øymar K. High flow nasal cannula in children: a literature review. Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2016; 24: 93.
- Dani C, Pratesi S, Migliori C, et al. High flow nasal cannula therapy as respiratory support in the preterm infant. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2009; 44(7): 629–634.
- Nishimura M. High-flow nasal cannula oxygen therapy in adults. J Intensive Care. 2015; 3(1): 15.
- Vargas F, Saint-Leger M, Boyer A, et al. Physiologic Effects of High-Flow Nasal Cannula Oxygen in Critical Care Subjects. Respir Care. 2015; 60(10): 1369–1376.
- Leeies M, Flynn E, Turgeon AF, et al. High-flow oxygen via nasal cannulae in patients with acute hypoxemic respiratory failure: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Syst Rev. 2017; 6(1): 202.
- Mauri T, Galazzi A, Binda F, et al. Impact of flow and temperature on patient comfort during respiratory support by high-flow nasal cannula. Crit Care. 2018; 22(1): 120.
- Dysart K, Miller TL, Wolfson MR, et al. Research in high flow therapy: mechanisms of action. Respir Med. 2009; 103(10): 1400–1405.
- Mauri T, Alban L, Turrini C, et al. Physiologic Effects of High-Flow Nasal Cannula in Acute Hypoxemic Respiratory Failure. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017; 195(9): 1207–1215.
- Mauri T, Alban L, Turrini C, et al. Optimum support by high-flow nasal cannula in acute hypoxemic respiratory failure: effects of increasing flow rates. Intensive Care Med. 2017; 43(10): 1453–1463.
- Chanques G, Riboulet F, Molinari N, et al. Comparison of three high flow oxygen therapy delivery devices: a clinical physiological cross-over study. Minerva Anestesiol. 2013; 79(12): 1344–1355.
- Möller W, Feng S, Domanski U, et al. Nasal high flow reduces dead space. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2017; 122(1): 191–197.
- Di Mussi R, Spadaro S, Stripoli T, et al. High-flow nasal cannula oxygen therapy decreases postextubation neuroventilatory drive and work of breathing in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Crit Care. 2018; 22(1): 180.
- Parke RL, Eccleston ML, McGuinness SP. The effects of flow on airway pressure during nasal high-flow oxygen therapy. Respir Care. 2011; 56(8): 1151–1155.
- Groves N, Tobin A. High flow nasal oxygen generates positive airway pressure in adult volunteers. Aust Crit Care. 2007; 20(4): 126–131.
- Okuda M, Tanaka N, Naito K, et al. Evaluation by various methods of the physiological mechanism of a high-flow nasal cannula (HFNC) in healthy volunteers. BMJ Open Respir Res. 2017; 4(1): e000200.
- Riera J, Pérez P, Cortés J, et al. Effect of high-flow nasal cannula and body position on end-expiratory lung volume: a cohort study using electrical impedance tomography. Respir Care. 2013; 58(4): 589–596.
- Xu Z, Li Y, Zhou J, et al. High-flow nasal cannula in adults with acute respiratory failure and after extubation: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Respir Res. 2018; 19(1): 202.
- Lee CC, Mankodi D, Shaharyar S, et al. High flow nasal cannula versus conventional oxygen therapy and non-invasive ventilation in adults with acute hypoxemic respiratory failure: A systematic review. Respir Med. 2016; 121: 100–108.
- Huang HW, Sun XM, Shi ZH, et al. Effect of High-Flow Nasal Cannula Oxygen Therapy Versus Conventional Oxygen Therapy and Noninvasive Ventilation on Reintubation Rate in Adult Patients After Extubation: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. J Intensive Care Med. 2018; 33(11): 609–623.
- Coudroy R, Frat JP, Boissier F, et al. Early Identification of Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome in the Absence of Positive Pressure Ventilation: Implications for Revision of the Berlin Criteria for Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. Crit Care Med. 2018; 46(4): 540–546.
- Frat JP, Thille AW, Mercat A, et al. FLORALI Study Group, REVA Network. High-flow oxygen through nasal cannula in acute hypoxemic respiratory failure. N Engl J Med. 2015; 372(23): 2185–2196.
- Ni YN, Luo J, Yu He, et al. Can High-flow Nasal Cannula Reduce the Rate of Endotracheal Intubation in Adult Patients With Acute Respiratory Failure Compared With Conventional Oxygen Therapy and Noninvasive Positive Pressure Ventilation?: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Chest. 2017; 151(4): 764–775.
- Messika J, Ben Ahmed K, Gaudry S, et al. Use of High-Flow Nasal Cannula Oxygen Therapy in Subjects With ARDS: A 1-Year Observational Study. Respir Care. 2015; 60(2): 162–169.
- Osadnik CR, Tee VS, Carson-Chahhoud KV, et al. Non-invasive ventilation for the management of acute hypercapnic respiratory failure due to exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; 7: CD004104.
- Yeung J, Couper K, Ryan EG, et al. Non-invasive ventilation as a strategy for weaning from invasive mechanical ventilation: a systematic review and Bayesian meta-analysis. Intensive Care Med. 2018; 44(12): 2192–2204.
- Bräunlich J, Wirtz H. Nasal high-flow in acute hypercapnic exacerbation of COPD. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2018; 13: 3895–3897.
- Kim ES, Lee H, Kim SeJ, et al. Effectiveness of high-flow nasal cannula oxygen therapy for acute respiratory failure with hypercapnia. J Thorac Dis. 2018; 10(2): 882–888.
- Storgaard LH, Hockey HU, Laursen BS, et al. Long-term effects of oxygen-enriched high-flow nasal cannula treatment in COPD patients with chronic hypoxemic respiratory failure. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2018; 13: 1195–1205.
- Stripoli T, Spadaro S, Di Mussi R, et al. High-flow oxygen therapy in tracheostomized patients at high risk of weaning failure. Ann Intensive Care. 2019; 9(1): 4.
- Mitaka C, Odoh M, Satoh D, et al. High-flow oxygen via tracheostomy facilitates weaning from prolonged mechanical ventilation in patients with restrictive pulmonary dysfunction: two case reports. J Med Case Rep. 2018; 12(1): 292.
- Raineri SM, Cortegiani A, Accurso G, et al. Efficacy and Safety of Using High-Flow Nasal Oxygenation in Patients Undergoing Rapid Sequence Intubation. Turk J Anaesthesiol Reanim. 2017; 45(6): 335–339.
- Zhu Y, Yin H, Zhang R, et al. High-flow nasal cannula oxygen therapy vs conventional oxygen therapy in cardiac surgical patients: A meta-analysis. J Crit Care. 2017; 38: 123–128.
- Futier E, Paugam-Burtz C, Godet T, et al. OPERA study investigators. Effect of early postextubation high-flow nasal cannula vs conventional oxygen therapy on hypoxaemia in patients after major abdominal surgery: a French multicentre randomised controlled trial (OPERA). Intensive Care Med. 2016; 42(12): 1888–1898.
- Hernández G, Vaquero C, González P, et al. Effect of Postextubation High-Flow Nasal Cannula vs Conventional Oxygen Therapy on Reintubation in Low-Risk Patients: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2016; 315(13): 1354–1361.
- Badiger S, John M, Fearnley RA, et al. Optimizing oxygenation and intubation conditions during awake fibre-optic intubation using a high-flow nasal oxygen-delivery system. Br J Anaesth. 2015; 115(4): 629–632.
- Lucangelo U, Vassallo F, Marras E, et al. High-flow nasal interface improves oxygenation in patients undergoing bronchoscopy. Critical Care Research and Practice. 2012; 2012: 1–6.
- Azoulay E, Lemiale V, Mokart D, et al. Groupe de Recherche en Réanimation Respiratoire du patient d’Onco-Hématologie (GRRR-OH). Effect of noninvasive ventilation vs oxygen therapy on mortality among immunocompromised patients with acute respiratory failure: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2015; 314(16): 1711–1719.
- Azoulay E, Lemiale V, Mokart D, et al. Effect of High-Flow Nasal Oxygen vs Standard Oxygen on 28-Day Mortality in Immunocompromised Patients With Acute Respiratory Failure: The HIGH Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2018; 320(20): 2099–2107.
- Ni YN, Luo J, Yu He, et al. Can high-flow nasal cannula reduce the rate of endotracheal intubation in adult patients with acute respiratory failure compared with conventional oxygen therapy and noninvasive positive pressure ventilation?: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Chest. 2017; 151(4): 764–775.
- Ni YN, Luo J, Yu He, et al. The effect of high-flow nasal cannula in reducing the mortality and the rate of endotracheal intubation when used before mechanical ventilation compared with conventional oxygen therapy and noninvasive positive pressure ventilation. A systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Emerg Med. 2018; 36(2): 226–233.
- Corley A, Rickard CM, Aitken LM, et al. High-flow nasal cannulae for respiratory support in adult intensive care patients. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; 5: CD010172.
- Eaton Turner E, Jenks M. Cost-effectiveness analysis of the use of high-flow oxygen through nasal cannula in intensive care units in NHS England. Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res. 2018; 18(3): 331–337.