Physical activity in patients with COPD: the role of pulmonary rehabilitation
- World Health Organization. Physical Activity and Health in Europe. Evidence for Action. Cavill N., Kahlmeier S., Racioppi F. (eds.). 2006. http://www.euro.who.int/document/e89490.pdf (16.08.2008).
- Caspersen CJ, Powell KE, Christenson GM. Physical activity, exercise, and physical fitness: definitions and distinctions for health-related research. Public Health Rep. 1985; 100(2): 126–131.
- Leidy NK. Functional status and the forward progress of merry-go-rounds: toward a coherent analytical framework. Nurs Res. 1994; 43(4): 196–202.
- Leidy NK. Using functional status to assess treatment outcomes. Chest. 1994; 106(6): 1645–1646.
- Belza B, Steele BG, Hunziker J, et al. Correlates of physical activity in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Nurs Res. 2001; 50(4): 195–202.
- Kushi LH, Fee RM, Folsom AR, et al. Physical activity and mortality in postmenopausal women. JAMA. 1997; 277(16): 1287–1292.
- Hakim AA, Petrovitch H, Burchfiel CM, et al. Effects of walking on mortality among nonsmoking retired men. N Engl J Med. 1998; 338(2): 94–99.
- Stessman J, Maaravi Y, Hammerman-Rozenberg R, et al. The Effects of Physical Activity on Mortality in the Jerusalem 70-Year-Olds Longitudinal Study. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2015; 48(5): 499–504.
- Middleton LE, Manini TM, Simonsick EM, et al. Health, Aging and Body Composition Study. Daily activity energy expenditure and mortality among older adults. JAMA. 2006; 296(2): 171–179.
- Bowen JB, Votto JJ, Thrall RS, et al. Functional status and survival following pulmonary rehabilitation. Chest. 2000; 118(3): 697–703.
- Garcia-Aymerich J, Lange P, Benet M, et al. Regular physical activity reduces hospital admission and mortality in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a population based cohort study. Thorax. 2006; 61(9): 772–778.
- Garcia-Aymerich J, Lange P, Benet M, et al. Regular physical activity modifies smoking-related lung function decline and reduces risk of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a population-based cohort study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2007; 175(5): 458–463.
- Morgan M. Life in slow motion: quantifying physical activity in COPD. Thorax. 2008; 63(8): 663–664.
- Okubadejo AA, O'Shea L, Jones PW, et al. Home assessment of activities of daily living in patients with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease on long-term oxygen therapy. Eur Respir J. 1997; 10(7): 1572–1575.
- Haggerty M, Stockdale-Woolley R, ZuWallack R. Functional Status in Pulmonary Rehabilitation Participants. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation. 1999; 19(1): 35–42.
- Reardon JZ, Lareau SC, ZuWallack R. Functional status and quality of life in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Med. 2006; 119(10 Suppl 1): 32–37.
- Steele BG, Holt L, Belza B, et al. Quantitating physical activity in COPD using a triaxial accelerometer. Chest. 2000; 117(5): 1359–1367.
- Pitta F, Troosters T, Spruit MA, et al. Characteristics of physical activities in daily life in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005; 171(9): 972–977.
- Pitta F, Troosters T, Probst VS, et al. Physical activity and hospitalization for exacerbation of COPD. Chest. 2006; 129(3): 536–544.
- Phrases attributed to Richard Casaburi, PhD, MD.
- Sewell L, Singh SJ, Williams JEA, et al. Can individualized rehabilitation improve functional independence in elderly patients with COPD? Chest. 2005; 128(3): 1194–1200.
- Steele BG, Belza B, Cain KC, et al. A randomized clinical trial of an activity and exercise adherence intervention in chronic pulmonary disease. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89(3): 404–412.
- Walker PP, Burnett A, Flavahan PW, et al. Lower limb activity and its determinants in COPD. Thorax. 2008; 63(8): 683–689.