Role of inhaled corticosteroids in the management of COPD
- Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) Global Strategy for the diagnosis, management and prevention of chronic obstructive lung disease. http://www.goldcopd.org.
- Tashkin D, Celli B, Decramer M, et al. Prescribing patterns according to COPD treatment guidelines in patients enrolled in a global clinical trial. PATS. 2006; 3: abstract.
- Miravitlles M, Brosa M, Velasco M, et al. An economic analysis of pharmacological treatment of COPD in Spain. Respir Med. 2009; 103(5): 714–721.
- Anderson P, Benford M, Harris N, et al. Real-world physician and patient behaviour across countries: Disease-Specific Programmes - a means to understand. Curr Med Res Opin. 2008; 24(11): 3063–3072.
- Celli B, Decramer M, Kesten S, et al. UPLIFT Study Investigators, UPLIFT Study Investigators. A 4-year trial of tiotropium in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. N Engl J Med. 2008; 359(15): 1543–1554.
- Profita M, Giorgi RDi, Sala A, et al. Muscarinic receptors, leukotriene B4 production and neutrophilic inflammation in COPD patients. Allergy. 2005; 60(11): 1361–1369.
- Bühling F, Lieder N, Kühlmann UC, et al. Tiotropium suppresses acetylcholine-induced release of chemotactic mediators in vitro. Respir Med. 2007; 101(11): 2386–2394.
- Iesato K, Tatsumi K, Saito K, et al. Tiotropium bromide attenuates respiratory syncytial virus replication in epithelial cells. Respiration. 2008; 76(4): 434–441.
- Pahl A, Bauhoffer A, Petzold U, et al. Synergistic effect of the anticholinergic R, R-glycopyrrolate with antiinflammatory drug. Bioch Pharm. 2006; 72: 169–172.
- Roig J, Hernando R, Mora R. Indacaterol, A Novel Once Daily Inhaled beta2-Adrenoreceptor Agonist. Open Respir Med J. 2009; 3: 27–30.
- Singh D, Fiebich K, Dederichs J. Dose delivery characterization of indacaterol following inhalation by COPD patients. Am. J. Respir. Crit Care Med. 2010; 181: A4419.
- Kornmann O, Dahl R, Centanni S, et al. INLIGHT-2 (Indacaterol Efficacy Evaluation Using 150-µg Doses with COPD Patients) study investigators. Once-daily indacaterol versus twice-daily salmeterol for COPD: a placebo-controlled comparison. Eur Respir J. 2011; 37(2): 273–279.
- Dahl R, Chung KF, Buhl R, et al. INVOLVE (INdacaterol: Value in COPD: Longer Term Validation of Efficacy and Safety) Study Investigators. Efficacy of a new once-daily long-acting inhaled beta2-agonist indacaterol versus twice-daily formoterol in COPD. Thorax. 2010; 65(6): 473–479.
- Donohue JF, Fogarty C, Lötvall J, et al. INHANCE Study Investigators. Once-daily bronchodilators for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: indacaterol versus tiotropium. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010; 182(2): 155–162.
- Donohue JF, Decramer MD, Owen R, et al. Indacaterol provides significant bronchodilatation in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease irrespective of concomitant inhaled corticosteroid use. . Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2010; 181: A4438.
- Siler TN, Williams J, Yegen U. The effect of once-daily indacaterol on health-related quality of life rescue medication use and exacerbation rates in patients with moderate to severe COPD: a pooled analysis of three months of treatment. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2010; 181: A4430.
- Bhavsar P, Ahmad T, Adcock IM. The role of histone deacetylases in asthma and allergic diseases. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2008; 121(3): 580–584.
- Ito K, Ito M, Elliott WM, et al. Decreased histone deacetylase activity in chronic obstructive lung disease. N Engl J Med. 2005; 25: 552–563.
- Mapel D, Hurley J, Roblin D, et al. Survival of COPD patients using inhaled corticosteroids and long-acting beta agonists. Respiratory Medicine. 2006; 100(4): 595–609.
- Cazzola M, Matera MG. Novel long-acting bronchodilators for COPD and asthma. Br J Pharmacol. 2008; 155(3): 291–299.
- Bhavsar PK, Khorasani NJ. Improvement in corticosteroid sensitivity in PBMCs from patients with COPD by p38MAPK inhibition. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2009; 179: A6187.
- Marwick JA, Caramori G, Stevenson CS, et al. Inhibition of PI3Kdelta restores glucocorticoid function in smoking-induced airway inflammation in mice. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009; 179(7): 542–548.
- Adcock IM, Barnes PJ. Molecular mechanisms of corticosteroid resistance. Chest. 2008; 134(2): 394–401.
- Hatzelmann A, Morcillo EJ, Lungarella G, et al. The preclinical pharmacology of roflumilast--a selective, oral phosphodiesterase 4 inhibitor in development for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2010; 23(4): 235–256.
- Rabe KF. Roflumilast for the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Expert Rev Respir Med. 2010; 4(5): 543–555.
- Press NJ, Banner KH. PDE4 inhibitors - a review of the current field. Prog Med Chem. 2009; 47: 37–74.
- Calverley PMA, Rabe KF, Goehring UM, et al. M2-124 and M2-125 study groups. Roflumilast in symptomatic chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: two randomised clinical trials. Lancet. 2009; 374(9691): 685–694.
- Fabbri LM, Calverley PMA, Izquierdo-Alonso JL, et al. M2-127 and M2-128 study groups. Roflumilast in moderate-to-severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treated with longacting bronchodilators: two randomised clinical trials. Lancet. 2009; 374(9691): 695–703.
- Rabe KF. Treating COPD--the TORCH trial, P values, and the Dodo. N Engl J Med. 2007; 356(8): 851–854.
- Keddissi JI, Younis WG, Chbeir EA, et al. The use of statins and lung function in current and former smokers. Chest. 2007; 132(6): 1764–1771.
- Blamoun AI, Batty GN, DeBari VA, et al. Statins may reduce episodes of exacerbation and the requirement for intubation in patients with COPD: evidence from a retrospective cohort study. Int J Clin Pract. 2008; 62(9): 1373–1378.
- Søyseth V, Brekke PH, Smith P, et al. Statin use is associated with reduced mortality in COPD. Eur Respir J. 2007; 29(2): 279–283.
- Liao JK, Laufs U. Pleiotropic effects of statins. Ann Rev Pharmacol Toxicol. 2005; 45: 89–118.