Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and cardiovascular diseases
chronic obstructive pulmonary disease; atherosclerosis; inflammation
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and cardiovascular diseases
Pneumonol Alergol Pol 2010;78(1):28-32.
chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Bednarek M, Maciejewski J, Wozniak M, et al. Prevalence, severity and underdiagnosis of COPD in the primary care setting. Thorax. 2008; 63(5): 402–407.
- Global initiative for chronic obstructive lung disease. Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. www.goldcopd.org/ (2008).
- Chatila WM, Thomashow BM, Minai OA, et al. Comorbidities in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2008; 5(4): 549–555.
- Sin DD, Wu L, Man SF. The relationship between reduced lung function and cardiovascular mortality: a population-based study and a systematic review of the literature. Chest. 2005; 127(6): 1952–1959.
- Mills NL, Miller JJ, Anand A, et al. Increased arterial stiffness in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a mechanism for increased cardiovascular risk. Thorax. 2008; 63(4): 306–311.
- Maclay JD, McAllister DA, Mills NL, et al. Cardiovascular risk in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Respirology. 2007; 12(5): 634–641.
- McAllister DA, Maclay JD, Mills NL, et al. Arterial stiffness is independently associated with emphysema severity in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2007; 176(12): 1208–1214.
- Shifren A, Mecham RP. The stumbling block in lung repair of emphysema: elastic fiber assembly. Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2006; 3(5): 428–433.
- Makita H, Nasuhara Y, Nagai K, et al. Hokkaido COPD Cohort Study Group. Characterisation of phenotypes based on severity of emphysema in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Thorax. 2007; 62(11): 932–937.
- Guerassimov A, Hoshino Y, Takubo Y, et al. The development of emphysema in cigarette smoke-exposed mice is strain dependent. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2004; 170(9): 974–980.
- Pyeritz RE. The Marfan syndrome. Annu Rev Med. 2000; 51: 481–510.
- Patel BD, Loo WJ, Tasker AD, et al. Smoking related COPD and facial wrinkling: is there a common susceptibility? Thorax. 2006; 61(7): 568–571.
- Gan WQ, Man SFP, Senthilselvan A, et al. Association between chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and systemic inflammation: a systematic review and a meta-analysis. Thorax. 2004; 59(7): 574–580.
- Wedzicha JA, Seemungal TA, MacCallum PK, et al. Acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease are accompanied by elevations of plasma fibrinogen and serum IL-6 levels. Thromb Haemost. 2000; 84(2): 210–215.
- Sin DD, Lacy P, York E, et al. Effects of fluticasone on systemic markers of inflammation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2004; 170(7): 760–765.
- Joppa P, Petrasova D, Stancak B, et al. Systemic inflammation in patients with COPD and pulmonary hypertension. Chest. 2006; 130(2): 326–333.
- Hansell AL, Walk JA, Soriano JB. What do chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients die from? A multiple cause coding analysis. Eur Respir J. 2003; 22(5): 809–814.
- Engström G, Wollmer P, Hedblad B, et al. Occurrence and prognostic significance of ventricular arrhythmia is related to pulmonary function: a study from "men born in 1914," Malmö, Sweden. Circulation. 2001; 103(25): 3086–3091.
- Sin DD, Man SF. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease as a risk factor for cardiovascular morbidity and mortality. Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2005; 2(1): 8–11.
- Anthonisen NR, Connett JE, Enright PL, et al. Lung Health Study Research Group. Hospitalizations and mortality in the Lung Health Study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002; 166(3): 333–339.
- Mapel DW, Dedrick D, Davis K. Trends and cardiovascular co-morbidities of COPD patients in the Veterans Administration Medical System, 1991-1999. COPD. 2005; 2(1): 35–41.
- Ross R. Atherosclerosis--an inflammatory disease. N Engl J Med. 1999; 340(2): 115–126.
- Sin DD, Man SF. Why are patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease at increased risk of cardiovascular diseases? The potential role of systemic inflammation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Circulation. 2003; 107(11): 1514–1519.
- De Reuck J, Proot P, Van Maele G. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease as a risk factor for stroke-related seizures. Eur J Neurol. 2007; 14(9): 989–992.
- Arboix A, Morcillo C, García-Eroles L, et al. Different vascular risk factor profiles in ischemic stroke subtypes: a study from the "Sagrat Cor Hospital of Barcelona Stroke Registry". Acta Neurol Scand. 2000; 102(4): 264–270.
- Buch P, Friberg J, Scharling H, et al. Reduced lung function and risk of atrial fibrillation in the Copenhagen City Heart Study. Eur Respir J. 2003; 21(6): 1012–1016.
- Huerta C, Lanes SF, García Rodríguez LA. Respiratory medications and the risk of cardiac arrhythmias. Epidemiology. 2005; 16(3): 360–366.
- Salpeter SR, Ormiston TM, Salpeter EE. Cardiovascular effects of beta-agonists in patients with asthma and COPD: a meta-analysis. Chest. 2004; 125(6): 2309–2321.
- Calverley PMA, Anderson JA, Celli B, et al. TORCH investigators. Salmeterol and fluticasone propionate and survival in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. N Engl J Med. 2007; 356(8): 775–789.
- Luppi F, Franco F, Beghé B, et al. Treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and its comorbidities. Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2008; 5(8): 848–856.
- Barnes PJ. Future treatments for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and its comorbidities. Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2008; 5(8): 857–864.
- Dobler CC, Wong KK, Marks GB. Associations between statins and COPD: a systematic review. BMC Pulm Med. 2009; 9: 32–37.
- Mancini GB, Etminan M, Zhang B, et al. Reduction of morbidity and mortality by statins, angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors, and angiotensin receptor blockers in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006; 47(12): 2554–2560.
- Søyseth V, Brekke PH, Smith P, et al. Statin use is associated with reduced mortality in COPD. Eur Respir J. 2007; 29(2): 279–283.
- Ridker PM. JUPITER Study Group. Rosuvastatin in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease among patients with low levels of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and elevated high-sensitivity C-reactive protein: rationale and design of the JUPITER trial. Circulation. 2003; 108(19): 2292–2297.
- Ridker PM, Rifai N, Lowenthal SP. Rapid reduction in C-reactive protein with cerivastatin among 785 patients with primary hypercholesterolemia. Circulation. 2001; 103(9): 1191–1193.
- Mortensen EM, Copeland LA, Pugh MJ, et al. Impact of statins and ACE inhibitors on mortality after COPD exacerbations. Respir Res. 2009; 10: 45.
- Kim SE, Thanh Thuy TT, Lee JiH, et al. Simvastatin inhibits induction of matrix metalloproteinase-9 in rat alveolar macrophages exposed to cigarette smoke extract. Exp Mol Med. 2009; 41(4): 277–287.
- Nissen SE, Nicholls SJ, Sipahi I, et al. ASTEROID Investigators. Effect of very high-intensity statin therapy on regression of coronary atherosclerosis: the ASTEROID trial. JAMA. 2006; 295(13): 1556–1565.
- Nicholls S, Tuzcu E, Sipahi I, et al. Statins, High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol, and Regression of Coronary Atherosclerosis. JAMA. 2007; 297(5): 499–508.
- Turato G, Di Stefano A, Maestrelli P, et al. Effect of smoking cessation on airway inflammation in chronic bronchitis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1995; 152(4 Pt 1): 1262–1267.
- Alexeeff SE, Litonjua AA, Sparrow D, et al. Statin use reduces decline in lung function: VA Normative Aging Study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2007; 176(8): 742–747.
- Khurana V, Bejjanki HR, Caldito G, et al. Statins reduce the risk of lung cancer in humans: a large case-control study of US veterans. Chest. 2007; 131(5): 1282–1288.